Python GUI toolkits

We all know Tinker is… well just there… I’ve started working with wxPython, but just recently found Qt. Which looks a bit more robust and has a “designer” tool for initial GUI layout.

But what are you using? and your option on the best one to learn for the long term?

Thanks

Keith

XV700

I really haven’t used Qt much, but wx just struck more of a chord with me. We’ve been having good luck with it at our studio so far. It seemed more like a logical extension of the MaxScript GUI tools we were used to. The widgets also had a more native look on various operating systems than some of the others (at least at the time).

I believe there’s at least one RAD layout tool for each of the major Python GUI toolkits.

I do like QT but I have to say I love WX have written several dozen tools with it and never had any problem its very easy to build GUIs very quickly. It has large number of widgets and when you need something custom it is very easy to create your own… I have not tried any design software there is how ever a wx designer although I am not sure if it is free or not.

Cheers
Dave

wxPython also has an AWESOME demo app, but is a seperate download/install. If you are using wxPython, this is a great resource since it shows plenty of example code/apps written for all of what wxPython has to offer.

Here is the direct download link:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.8-win32-docs-demos-2.8.8.1.exe

I’m using Forms and WPF (right now more Forms than the latter). Have looked into both wx and QT but since the rest of our tools groups use the .NET stuff i figure when in Rome. . .(stop by the vomitorium?)

I have used wx just a bit, Boa Constrictor was a fun layout editor.

Bu I think I’m going to commit to Qt. Just in case a major software maker decides to rewrite their interfaces with Qt . . .

[QUOTE=Count_Zr0;1180]
Bu I think I’m going to commit to Qt. Just in case a major software maker decides to rewrite their interfaces with Qt . . .[/QUOTE]

and FAIL to autodesk for not figuring out how to pass on Qt licensing goodness to Maya users:rolleyes: