Perforce Related

I have written some tutorials lately about perforce wrangling, been a while since I contributed here:

Writing Custom Perforce Plugins in Python
Perforce Triggers in Python Pt. 1
Perforce Triggers in Python Pt. 2

Cool stuff !!! Thanks!

They can save you so much grief and wasted time (ergo, money). Also, you don’t get dragged into solving the same old crappy problems again and again.

A couple things we’re validating:

File uniqueness: Files under certain directory trees need to have unique names due to pipeline search behavior.

Maya external references: Paths must be valid, and the referenced files must exist in Perforce. To do this, you use the P4 PRINT functionality to parse file contents as they are being submitted.

Required file pairings: certain files must be submitted along with paired metadata markup files. IE, instructions to the build machines on how to scale image data, etc.

One of the additions that I would suggest is that you parse changelist comments, add debugging and override flags to the scripts.

Great articles, Chris…

I’ve spent a lot of time writing Perforce triggers as well. It really is a VERY powerful and underused feature of Perforce, imho.

Some of the more critical triggers I use are XML validation, image size verification, forbid certain files from being added to Perforce (temp files, etc.), file name length enforcement, and file naming convention enforcement.

It’s really pretty incredible how much headache you can save with some pretty basic and effective perforce triggers…

Thanks guys!

SL4: My triggers are v basic. I would love to see better tutorials about this stuff, there is not much online at all.

teh awsum, btw. thx Chris!