3ds Max Newbie Confused!

I am a very new user of 3ds Max 2011 (just got it), everything was fine during the installation and the launch of the program. However, the viewport is “invisible” that is all the toolbars are shown and are functional but just the viewports themselves are invisible and shows my desktop image instead!?! and the even funnier thing is i tried drawing random objects on these “invisible” viewports and tried rendering them, and they renderings come up fine, showing all the random shapes and lines that were drawn…:wow:
Has anyone ever encounter this problem before? please help

Mac Pro Dual Core 3 Ghz Ram Nvidia 256 Mhz Win XP 32 Bit SP3

You might want to try upgrading your graphics card driver. Otherwise, you can try to run 3ds Max via other graphics modes. To do the latter, just click the “Start” button in the Windows taskbar. Then browse to Autodesk -> Autodesk 3ds Max 2011 xx-bit and launch the “Change Graphics Mode” application. From this application you can specify the graphics api that 3ds Max uses. If all else fails, software mode should at least work (though it won’t be as fast or pretty as DirectX or OpenGL). : )