Do you use any apps on your phone to help with tech art work?

The reason I ask, in a round about way is to find out what phones people are using to help with their daily Technical Art work. Maybe I should extend this out to tablets too.

• Downloaded apps or have written some custom ones?
  • Run web apps? or Google apps?
  • VNC your desktop or 3D app?

I personally VNC to my machine and use my desktop and 3D apps, this works great when you have WiFi throughout the Office, but a bit sluggish when on 3G.

~B)

MathWorkout! Silly little app that helps clear my thoughts sometimes and get my brain on track. Especially in the mornings. :slight_smile:

Also, LogMeIn Ignition is killer. Not so much over regular data connection but it’s hugely useful with WiFi.

Yes, DataViz RoadSync

And I’ve used SMS to notify me about long CPU processes for many years (beep renders all done)

Very simple but useful:

Aldiko Ebook reader for Android - for tech books on the train ride. A nice feature is that you have access to your O’reilly bookshelf directly from within the app.

I like the Google books app, because their supply of Victorian art books is better :slight_smile:

Oh, and by using my phone as a tether I can use my laptop and remote desktop to manage my main office desktop PC. Quite handy when, say, needing to update a server or start a lengthy perforce sync operation before I drive all the way to Redwood City.

Not my phone as much, but my iPad is my best friend ever.

I have all my reference on iBooks/Kindle/GoodReader

I use Wolfram Alpha as a graphing calculator

PenUltimate + a Pogo stylus makes for some good note taking

I will commonly use it to search for code reference or formulas when screen real estate is at a premium

+1 to using my cel phone’s email/SMS features to let me know if a batch process is done, crashed, or just send incremental updates. I’ll even have it send me error logs if I am inclined to.

I haven’t incorporated my iPad into work yet, but I am sure I will at some point for the same reasons that Phil mentions.

[QUOTE=anim8d;8791]+1 to using my cel phone’s email/SMS features to let me know if a batch process is done, crashed, or just send incremental updates. I’ll even have it send me error logs if I am inclined to.

I haven’t incorporated my iPad into work yet, but I am sure I will at some point for the same reasons that Phil mentions.[/QUOTE]

I love this idea! Not sure bringing my work home to that extend would do much for my sanity ( it would only make me worry knowing my batch exports have failed at 3am in the morning!). But i think it’s definitely something I’ll look into anyway.

Would be interesting to link up an iPad/iPhone/win7 phone to an asset database, albeit a little geeky!