Any want/need for this tut?

Hey all,
I’m working on adding some pretty heavy building destruction to my thesis, large enough, and visual enough that I can’t just leave it to the physics system in engine. My solution is to use a dcc (maya, in my case) physics sim and bake that sim out to a skeletal mesh, and then use physics and emitters for smaller pieces/dynamic effects.

My prof has asked me to assemble a tut for future students while I’m working up a pipeline for this sort of thing, and I wondered if there would be interest here for that sort of thing, or if it was a pretty cut and dried standard procedure that everyone does (and therefore no need).

I’d be more than happy to repackage the tutorial for TAO, if this seems like something you guys would use

[QUOTE=h6x6n;9545]
I’d be more than happy to repackage the tutorial for TAO, if this seems like something you guys would use[/QUOTE]

I’d say do it. There’s always a need for good tutorials, and it’s good practice for you as far as developing presentations.

I agree. There can never be too much info out there.

We did it that way in Split Second, mainly because we needed full control over there the destruction parts ended up as it was part of the actual game play of changing the tracks. Besides such concerns it is still good to not have to run full physics real-time int he engine if you don’t need to. I was to the Volition talk at GDC about stress calculations and their destruction system they use in the Red Faction games, and not every project can put aside 15ms per frame on the CPU to physics. :wink: (he didn’t say what number they ended up at, only what where their initial budget estimation was).

Tutorials are not just worth it for the community in general, they’re valuable for you specifically. They show you can learn quickly, communicate effectively, and can complete projects. Do it.

What everyone said here. As I told John with his blog post (http://bit.ly/hcP1RY) it doesn’t matter WHAT you learn, it’s HOW you learn it and your ability to share how you learned it so others can follow.

Case in point for me, during Jeremy’s Gears of War Facial Rigging talk at GDC, there was a lot of stuff I had done or tried before, but 2 or 3 “oh shit” moments that he had hit, that I had never even considered. Those few things are going to help me immensely going forward even more than the stuff I already knew.

Do it! It’s a good technique, I’ve use it quite effectively before!

Knowledge is always welcome!!!

It’s quite a common technique and effective, but not easy to get right, so well worth writing tutorials for. I say go for it too. :slight_smile:

I haven’t forgotten that I said I would do this, just digging myself out from under a pile of school work. I hope to get this knocked out within the week.

well some of these thing are very helpful for me i just want to say thanks for sharing this.