New Contest, Old Contest Winners Announced

Tech-Artists.Org Competition: Lessons Learned

Being a Technical Artist is all about learning, not just new technical gems or methods, but learning lessons about development, organization, leadership, life in general. For this contest, we want to hear what the most important thing you’ve learned during your time as a technical artist has been. Tell us about some experience that gave you a new way to view your career, your profession, your life. What is the most important lesson you have learned as a Technical Artist, or what has this job taught you?

Prizes:

First Prize: NVIDIA 9800 GTX+ Video Card

How to Enter:
PM me with an essay or article of any length. Contest ends 11:59 pm on October 30, 2008.

Eligibility:
You don’t need to be a Technical Artist or professional to enter, though preference will be given to those applicants who are most aligned to the site’s audience. Regular artists are encouraged to enter, as are students. Content Staff are also eligible.

Judging:
Judging will be done by Site Administrators, based on quality and overall effectiveness of the work.

Terms and Conditions:
All contest submissions remain the intellectual property of their entrant, but tech-artists.org maintains the right to reprint any entry for promotional and not-for-profit purposes.
TAO’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
TAO retains the right to refuse any entry. Please do not enter in countries/regions where it is contrary to current local legislation.
TAO’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
TAO reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition or these rules at any time without prior notice.

[hr][/hr]

Let’s also congratulate the winners of the Launch Competition. I should mention that only the Administrators judged because of the lack of entries received, so Content Staff were eligable.

Djtomservo was our first place winner, due to his Wiki work and Python and MEL knowledge and assistance. Eric Chadwick won second place for his numerous Wiki articles and edits. Drea won third place due to Wiki and forum contributions. I will be PMing these members in the next day or two to discuss prize info.

We didn’t have many entrants, which is a bit of shame, there were some good prizes up for grabs. I’ve taken the things I’ve learned from this lukewarm contest and hopefully tried to make the new contest, announced above, that much more exicting, with a more interesting prize and more finite and tactile method of entry.

Thank you for the DVD, this is great! This site is really shaping up nicely since it started, didn’t it start up just a month or so ago? Great idea and it’s moving along pretty well. The real prize though is having a magnet for so many smart people all in one place. Kudos to the people who make it happen.

Eric, you took the words right out of my mouth. Great site, great people :D:

The DVD arrived today, many thanks to TAO for the gift!

I chose Conceptual Storyboarding by Derek Thompson, it’s turning out great so far.

Glad to hear it arrived! Gnomon didn’t send out a confirmation email for either you or Tom’s prizes so I was a bit worried.

Hey Rob, are multiple stories and/or entries allowed? Thanks for setting these comps up!

Yup, go ahead and enter multiple times.

Setting up the comps gets increasingly more fulfilling as people enter! So, enter the comps, people!

Extended the date a week. I want moar entries!

Alright, I’ve gotten entries from the following people:
[ul]
[li]vishangshah
[/li][li]loocas
[/li][li]chairmanleo
[/li][li]Erilaz
[/li][li]mookman18
[/li][li]Bronwen
[/li][/ul]

If you didn’t enter, you should be kicking yourself.

I’ll post the winner and all the entries, or a status update on what’s taking so long, in a week.

Thanks to all who entered!