Python 2.x or 3.2.2 for a beginner?

Hi there.

I started to learn Python. Because I’m new to Python, I decided to go straight ahead for the newest release 3.2.2 , so I don’t have to “re-learn” Python 3 after learning Python 2.x.
After a few days I’m not sure anymore which version i should go for. The thing is, as far as i know, Maya 2012 (the main software I’m using) uses 2.6.4. And most python tutorials and books out there, are based on python 2.x. For me as a beginner it’s really hard to learn from python 2.x tutorials and convert the learned stuff over to python 3.2.2. But on the otherside, why should I learn python 2.x if will have to then learn Python 3 anyways some day?

Could you guys give me a little help where and suggestion whith which version of Python a beginner should start these days?

Thank you very much

Honestly, I’d stuggest starting with the latest stable 2.x release, which ATM is 2.7.2. Some reasons:
[ol]
[li]Some popular extension packages have not been ported to Python 3 yet (such as PIL).[/li][li]Most books/learning materials are still geared towards 2.x[/li][li]From Python 2.6 on, you’re able to write Python 3-compliant code in nearly every part of the standard library. Best of both worlds, really.[/li][li]When migration time comes, Python comes with some really great auto-migration tools to help refactor any deprecated 2.x code you happen to have lying about.[/li][/ol]

Short and clear answer. Thank you. Sticking to 2.7.2.