Community Roundup 10/19

[legend]Community Roundup[/legend]

It has been a little while since the last roundup. I’ve been a bit busy, since we are getting to announce the MMO BioWare is working on, but hopefully things are back to normal. Fortunately, Adrian has done a great job with his interview of Jason Parks, and there should be another one coming soon, with Kees Rijnen.

[fieldset]
I’m going to organize a bit of a content push on the Wiki in the coming months, once the Community Repository is all set up. There are a couple interesting things, though.

I’ve done some [w]Performance Tests (MAXScript)[/w]. We were righting a Vertlet simulation at work and since this was for interactive/realtime use, it needed to be fast. The exploration of the nuts and bolts of Max performance was interesting, and is a good read for any Max scripter.

Chris Evans’ article [w]Talking About Light Transport[/w] is on the Wiki now, check it out and add/edit interesting things.

Python users can also check out and add to our [w]Python Recipes[/w] page, lots of interesting info.
[legend]Wiki[/legend][/fieldset]

[fieldset]The Blogs don’t get much action, so I’ve started to use them for posting MaxScript bugs and anomalies. I suppose the Roundup would be a good time to report them, if people don’t check the blog. There is interesting info about recursion and modifying collections in-place.
[legend]Blogs[/legend][/fieldset]

[fieldset]There have been a few very interesting discussions the past month. Two such threads, which I think demonstrate the important niche quality of this site, are profiling strategies for graphics optimizations and bug tracking software. Very interesting underbelly-type stuff.

There have also been a few recommendation threads- Light would like to know what sort of materials you’ve found useful as a TA, Eric Chadwick wonders if anyone here has used CAT, and TechChimp recommends this mechanical devices sourcebook.

I’ve also started a discussion about Next-Generation 3-D Software. It has yielded lots of interesting info and ideas. I’ll probably move on to another component of the discussion this coming week.
[legend]Forum[/legend][/fieldset]

[fieldset]We’re running a contest for a 9800 GTX+. The contest date is extended to 23:59 on October 30th, so I could have some more time to pressure more people to enter. I’m going to present all of the entries in a nice PDF, since I think lots of very insightful and important things have been said. Even if you don’t want or need the GFX card, you should contribute!

Probably the most interesting thing going on is the Community Script Repository. Progress can only go so fast as Aryeh can, and things have slowed in the past month. But the repository seems to be fully functional, and I’m using it to host my own scripts, and starting the groundwork for the community library. There’s just some minor interface work and tweaks to do, bug we can’t launch until Aryeh thinks he’ll have a bit of free time, to take care of the inevitable bugs that come up. It is really cool and I am really excited about it. As always, if you’re interested in helping, just PM me.
[legend]Community News[/legend][/fieldset]

What machine was used for maxscript performace tests, or did I miss that somewhere?

The actual performance I think is less important than the relative performance. I can’t imagine that things would change relative to each other whether quad or single core were used, or more or less memory. But for the sake of completion (and the info should be included):
Intel Core2 Duo CPU [email protected], 2.0GB RAM, GeForce 9800 GTX+

I’ll add it to the Wiki page.

[QUOTE=Rob Galanakis;1699]The actual performance I think is less important than the relative performance. I can’t imagine that things would change relative to each other whether quad or single core were used, or more or less memory. But for the sake of completion (and the info should be included):
Intel Core2 Duo CPU [email protected], 2.0GB RAM, GeForce 9800 GTX+

I’ll add it to the Wiki page.[/QUOTE]

This is true unless some operations are multithreaded and some are not, though every script I run seems only to use 50% of my dual core at work. Its always very frustrating when its not taking advantage of all the power you have.

I don’t believe that anything Max does is multi-threaded except for some types of rendering. It also doesn’t use multiple GPUs. Some big room for improvement there.

I think “some” of Reactor is now multithreaded can’t remember which part.
This is going to really annoy me when I get a Quad core machine. These days you can take advantage of multiple processors or can farm out tasks for internal tools.

Someone at the CGTalk MXS forum- lonerobot I think, can’t remember exactly- has done some work with multithreading MXS using some DotNet stuff.

http://www.lonerobot.com/MultiThreading.html

Interesting, I just happened to find that because I saw his pretty UI stuff he has been working on. I may try adapting it

外贸服装批发公司业务范围:生产兼贸易,我们与烟台、青岛、威海、天津、常熟、杭州等地数百家服装厂有长期稳定的合作关系,自身下设的服装厂可承接各类服装定单。网站经营宗旨:依托原有渠道筛选优质货源,提供高品质、低价位、多种类、高可比性的外贸服装批发,通过批衣网平台为广大终端零售商提供最源头第一手优质货源,减少进货环节及相应费用。绝对价格优势:以厂家货源和渠道优势做保证,以薄利多销为定价原则,在此我们外贸服装批发可以向广大客户承诺:您的到货价格低于全国各大批发市场同类服装的批发价格!批衣网从事 烟台外贸服装批发 威海外贸服装批发 青岛外贸服装批发,即山东外贸服装批发,主要经营日单外贸服装,日单服装批发,韩国外贸服装,韩版服装批发,山东产外贸服装主要在沿海地区,烟台威海青岛等地,因地理位置毗邻韩日,及长期从事纺织服装字等密集型行业传统.

spammy spam spam
translated from babelfish:

Foreign trade clothing wholesale high quality, low end, multi-types, high commeasurability -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Foreign trade clothing wholesale corporate business scope: Produces the concurrently trade, we with places several hundred clothing factories such as the Yantai, Qingdao, Weihai, Tianjin, Changshu, Hangzhou have the long-term stability the cooperation, own under supposes the clothing factory may continue each kind of clothing order form. Website management objective: Depends on the original channel screening high quality source of goods, provides the high quality, the low end, the multi-types, the high commeasurable foreign trade clothing wholesale, through approves the clothes net platform to provide the most source first high quality source of goods for the general terminal retail merchant, simplifies the inventory link and the corresponding expense. Absolute price superiority: Make the guarantee by the factory source of goods and the channel superiority, take the meager profit but high turnover as the fixed price principle, may pledge in this our foreign trade clothing wholesale to the general customers: Your delivered price is lower than the nation each big wholesale market similar clothing’s wholesale price! Approves the clothes net to be engaged in the Yantai foreign trade clothing to wholesale the Weihai foreign trade clothing to wholesale the Qingdao foreign trade clothing wholesale, namely the Shandong foreign trade clothing wholesale, mainly manages the date single foreign trade clothing, the Japan single clothing wholesale, the South Korean foreign trade clothing, the Han version clothing wholesale, Shandong produces the foreign trade clothing mainly in the coastal area, places such as Yantai Weihai Qingdao, because the geographical position adjoins to South Korea and Japan, and is engaged in intensive profession traditions for a long time and so on textile clothing character.