Mirror animation script

Hi all!

Anyone know of any script able to mirror animations in a character in 3ds Max? For example, create an animation for the right arm an transfer this one to the left arm.

Thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=ccardenete;12484]Hi all!

Anyone know of any script able to mirror animations in a character in 3ds Max? For example, create an animation for the right arm an transfer this one to the left arm.

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

its not really a quick solution as animation takes in account timing, making translations and/or rotations negative/positive even how the animation curves should be copied. it also depends on how the rig is build. to take this all in account it might even take more time trying to copy the animation then doing the animation by hand. or at least that is how i see it :slight_smile:

thanks for the info man… Dining Table Pads

This isn’t a direct answer, but I know Puppet Shop and CAT have some tools for that, at least for pose to pose, but that would mean using one of their rigs, or adding all the puppet shop attributes to your rig, in which case for that amount of time, just rebuild the rig. If I recall, we did mirror some animation over, but the curves didn’t always work out so well, just the key poses, and often it didn’t help all that much compared to just copying over the key poses.

Also, if I recall, the mixer might be capable of doing that as well.

But as far as a particular script, I don’t think I ever ran across one that worked or did it well.

Puppetshop’s uses some tricks and I am pretty sure its mirror (at least its fully body mirror) isn’t an actual mathematical mirror. But maybe its individual joint mirrors are?

Anyway, like Perry said, there’s no ‘script’ that will do this- it is dependent on your rig. You can find a lot of examples of the code that will mirror a transform and you need to figure it out from there (or post some info and hierarchies of your rig and we can help you).

It’s possible to write the code that work on any type of setup, but you gotta consider more exceptions and sometimes setups are made in a way that might make trouble, it’s good to see your type of setup and then run thought the coding for it.

I have this completely working now in Unity iPhone 1.7, but unfortunately the process breaks in my Unity 3.0b4. I haven’t tried the script I wrote in Unity 2.6, so I’m not sure what happened, but my guess is that the rotation interpolation settings changed somewhere along the line. It’s too bad we don’t have access to that curve interpolation setting via script. Did you ever try this trick on recent Unity (non-iPhone) builds?