Importing Collada crashes Maya

Hi guys, I’m having a problem when I try to import some of the artists’ DAE files into a scene. As soon as I try to import one of their files, Maya crashes. I can import DAE’s I generated myself, and they can import mine (and theirs) as well.

At the top of their DAE (in a text editor), I see the version listed as 1.4.1. Mine are listed as 1.4.0. The only thing I can think of is that I’m using Maya 2011 while they use 2012, which must have a different version of Collada.

Is there anything I can do about this? Update my version of Collada or something? I don’t think I’ll be able to sell an update of Maya for this issue alone.

This is probably not a very helpful reply. But I needed to get a Collada file (the collada file I had came from Google Sketchup) into Maya 2011 a few days ago and had all sorts of problems.

I ended up installing Blender and converting the file to .obj (I’m not sure if that’s a possibility for you). Blender imported the file fine and obviously the obj file worked in Maya

I guess that would be a “nuke it from orbit” solution

I assume your using the FBX plug-in to export your collada’s. So you could try updating your FBX to the same version.
-Dave

Actually, I’m wondering how I can accomplish that very thing?

Use Google :slight_smile:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775855

Sounds silly but did you try changing that 1.40 to 1.41 ina temp copy and importing it…
Obviously hacky but sometimes it works… Same as just dragging the file into the viewport instead of via the import menu seems to go a slightly different route sometimes…

Excellent, Akira, thanks!!! :D: I was thinking it was a third party plugin when my previous google searches weren’t leading me to Autodesk, but to OpenCOLLADA and a sourceforge project.

rhexter: funny enough, I did try that, without luck. Its a fair idea, I’ve done that to artists’ MA files to get rid of that “scary” data loss dialog as you exchange files across versions.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!