Next-Gen Software III: Community Backend and Frontend

In somewhat of a break from what I’ve been griping on before- that is, the feature-heavy but poor-design mantra of current 3D apps, especially now- let me hit on one ‘feature’ that has been deficient. Well, more than a feature, really, it is an entire latent component of the software, in the nature of it. There has been zero work towards- zero discussion, really, from the community as well- in a sort of ‘Web 2.0’ revolution in 3-D software. The first taste I got of this was that little ‘Communication Center’ in Max 2009 actually does something- if you are connected to the internet, it will try and find you some special stuff. It has been how many years since the majority of 3D app users have had always-on broadband, and we are now just seeing baby steps?

This, really, is a good example of my despondency towards software devs, AD’s in particular. Here is a completely untapped area, not something that would require an architectural rewrite but just something they can happily add on, and there seems to be no wheels turning. It is the replacement of dollars for innovation that summarizes what I’m most scared of.

Anyway, my vision of Web 2.0 integration in 3-D software is this:
Developers can register webspace to ‘push’ modules, scripts, tools, plugins to. From within the app, users have a link to these repos. Other users can connect to these repos, and comment, rate, contact the author, edit the entry (tags, docs, sort of like a Wiki page for each entry). They can choose to branch the depot to their own and start pushing themselves (at which point it would automatically list that on the trunk’s page), just download the code to run as-is in the program, they can test-drive the download for easy removal if they don’t like it.

There would be an integration of the community- I’d like, potentially, for an SDK of sorts that the program can interface to websites with. The depo system described above is not some proprietary system, but just a developer-backed system. Anyone should be able to open their own site, use the SDK to make it ‘aware’ to the program’s browser- and even develop browser plugins if they want to add new features to their site the SDK doesn’t support; let’s say, for example, the new site supports a different type of comment system that allows new things, but the browser doesn’t know how to read it- the developer could potentially create a browser plugin to be able to hook into the new comment system.

Why do this? Well I think there are two related roadblocks to successful plugin development. First, is accessibility FOR the users. Sites such as highend3d or scriptspot are great, but they are lacking- many people don’t submit their scripts, and it is sometimes inconvenient to go to those sites and search for certain things- I for one don’t like to go to ScriptSpot, get pointed to another site, and have to DL and install an EXE of a bunch of scripts. Especially for something small or to just peek at code. But there is just no good infrastructure in place, and for Max, the rigmarole of installing macros is probably best left to an EXE instead of by hand.

But what if it were easier to see and download- and when you download, you could leave a trail to show you downloaded it- and then after x amount of uses, it could ask for a rating and feedback, that would show up for other users? It would bring to the forefront good plugins and scripts and allow much better tracking, metrics, and accuracy of assessment. Fixing the accessibility problem means changing the idea that downloads and add-ons are extras or supplements- users must understand that the ability to ‘add on’ is a feature itself, and should be exploited. It needs to be a necessary component.

The second problem is accessibility TO the users. Better marketing usually yields better sales. Autodesk has been able to get people to continue to use Biped because it has this crazy idea that promoting good rigging and animation packages such as CAT, PuppetShop, Automanatron, etc., would be blasphemy. Why are there ‘Certified’ AD plugins, but the vast majority are not? How much money does this cost for AD’s testers, who can’t even test flagship products, to test ‘certified’ plugins. And what does this even yield beyond a pretty stamp? I’m not against certification- I just think its meaning is out of whack. The fact remains, develop some great script or tool, and you are only distributing to a few hundred people at most, when there are thousands out there who would love your tool if they were given it. Isn’t this why AD continues to buy out innovating plugins- guruware, for one minor example of many?

Maybe I am not a good businessman, but that is what I just cannot understand. Doesn’t making an investment in infrastructure- and by infrastructure, I mean the community backend aspects mentioned previously- make more sense than just buying out innovation? Doesn’t empowering users make a stronger software than spoon-feeding them? I see from all angles this desire to protect power and hegemony from above. AD has lots of money, and they spend it in buying out all rivals, big and small, instead of innovating. Or maybe I am a good businessman, and this sort of thing is what has landed so many companies in the financial crapper in the long term. Which I guess is why I have hope that the situation can change, against the prevalent feeling amongst many of my peers. History has shown time and time again that what AD is doing never works out. So like someone said before, either AD will innovate, or people will do what needs to be done and leave AD behind. I’d like to see AD innovate, at least in the community sense, because it would show AD does have a commitment to growing their community. Most of me doesn’t want to see AD fail (part of me of course does), I just want things to get better. I think I know what better means, but it is a fluid thing; which is why I make these long winded and winding posts instead of just keeping them in my head, because no single person knows what ‘better’ is. Some people can lead us there but only together can we decide where we are going.

Heya Rob, it’s great to see you posting again. I’ve followed up from all the related threads.

From what I understand what you have here, now, seems to be what XSI did for ICE. It’s really interesting. They set up a site that people can upload/share ICE node graphs they created, and have similar rating systems and such for management. Also, XSI has a built-in browser panel you can switch to and do all the browsing right within XSI.

So, basically it’s kind of the same thing, except the module support is like what UnrealScript is doing - extending existing classes and overwriting them, or creating new classes and calling existing functions - but in a way that most scripting/programming languages are supported/recognised?

So not to be the maya preacher in the max house but Maya since 8.0 has a feature that allows scripts to be run from an external webbrowser, sure it’s buggy and you would have to have a separate browser open and it takes some magic to get the thing working, but in theory you could set up a website right now that has several scripts hosted and the user could simply click a “launch tool button” and bam it works, no downloads, always up to date code and web 2.0 goodness.

There are some ways around the lack of browser inside of maya too, namely PyQT which has a webbrowser widget which would allow you to launch a sort of “mobile” version of the site which would be sort of like the appStore for the iPhone.

I’m not sure how it would handle plugins but you technically could write those plugins in python and keep them scripted. This is something I’ve been thinking about doing for a while now but never got my ass in gear, but it might be a fun project if there are any other Maya peeps in the house interested.

My 2 cents

This is no Max house :slight_smile:
I think there are more Max users then Maya users on the site currently, but that doesn’t mean we all are religiously attached to Max.

So anytime you have something positive to say (like your current post) about Maya, don’t hold back. :):

You know, I’m actually surprised by how many game companies actually utilises Maya after I made the switch from film to game. :wink:

Despite it’s flaws, I actually like the way Adobe integrates tools from the web. Kuler and knowHow as panels in Illustrator are a great step towards community-injected data and tools. The addition of pixelbender in CS4 is also promoting more community interaction and sharing of ideas and tools.

There is also merit in creative collaboration across the web, such as the way openCanvas allows more than one person to paint. I could see interesting ideas and workflow from being able to model or create materials with multiple users at the same time across a network.

There is a great need for more community driven collaboration. Some of the best ideas for software don’t seem to come from software developers or siggraph papers.

[QUOTE=Erilaz;1970] I could see interesting ideas and workflow from being able to model or create materials with multiple users at the same time across a network.
siggraph papers.[/QUOTE]

I think this is what truespace has been working on feature wise, I have not tired it but , I do like the opencanvas network paint and thought it would be nice to have that in Maya, more because I am remote so much that the more networked tools the better these days.

here is some info on good old truespace,

http://www.caligari.com/products/trueSpace/ts75/Brochure/collaboration_case_study1.asp

trueSpace7.6 is the only 3D application that lets you meet other people in online shared spaces, whether you want to meet other 3D artists to work or learn together, or just to meet friends for fun.

Menu printing is one of the wedding invitations primary investments that people wedding dresses in the food industry need to take seriously. When you cheap wedding invitations print menus, it should always make the dishes within it attractive and appetizing. It should appeal to the reader’s imaginations bridesmaid dresses and taste buds, making them “want” a certain dish.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.