jEdit improvements

I’m the guy who wrote the jEdit plugins that work with Maya and turn it into a free MEL/Python IDE. It’s my yearly review of what I should improve/add. Does anyone have any ideas of what useful functionality they feel is still missing compared to some of the other options out there?

I used to use Jedit but I switched over to Eclipse, I kept running into issues downloading the plugins and the Intelisense like completion made me switch over

First of all, Thanks cgjedi!

I use jEdit some, but try to spend most of my time in Eclipse as I do most of my scripting for Maya in Python whenever possible.

One of my favorite features about Pydev Extensions for Eclipse that is not in jEdit is when you select a word, all other instances of that word automatically become highlighted. This is HUGELY valuable when coding. I know Hypersearch is the next best thing but there is nothing like that instant awareness of all the places that variable/command appears.

Much appreciated. Thanks,

That’s what I love about this forum, you learn something new all the time. I had no idea that Eclipse even existed. It looks pretty decent - so much so I think I’ll have to reconsider jEdit. When I first started looking for a configurable editor (back in 2000) , jEdit was the best around. I haven’t even bothered looking since. Might be time for a switch…

What really impresses my is the website experience of that editor. There’s no comparison to jEdit - which is really clunky, hard to navigate and you feel like you’re in the wild west. Eclipse feels like a smooth highway in comparison and looks like it has a tonne more different kinds of plugins too.

I’d say it would be nice to get MEL better implemented into Eclipse if you’re looking for a project =)

I know Eclipse has a really robust plugin system and you should be able to fire off commands from inside of it to a running instance of Maya

I am moving the Requests forum into the Community Scripts forum, in that context this better belongs here (sorry for any confusion if it does cause any!).

Is this forum visible to everyone yet? (Sorry to hijack.)

Give me another hour or so… been working on this for months, just getting a couple more things fixed up. Actually I’ll go ahead and make it viewable now, one sec.

EDIT: Here you go. http://tech-artists.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27

anyone use wing IDE? its a fantastic IDE, but i can’t get it to reliably debug python scripts running in maya. it works sometimes, but i can’t see a pattern.

does eclipse let you debug python scripts running from another app?

The TAs at our studio use Wing IDE. It is indeed awesome.

We also use the remote debugger with the embedded Python interpreter in our in-house editor. Works great, no problems. Using the passive listen feature any unhandled exceptions in our editor scripts open in the Wing debugger.

I haven’t tried doing the same with Maya, however. What are the exact steps you’re following?

nothing to it really - just importing the wingdbstub module into the script, setting breakpoints and running the script in maya. as I said, it works sometimes, and not others.

does eclipse have a similar remote debug functionality, and has anyone used it with python/maya?

I believe the only debugging facility Eclipse has is for Java.

the pydev plugin gives it debugging/break pointting functionality, nothing connected to Maya though, but I’m sure it’s possible as a plugin