[Unity] Particles Galore

Here’s some Unity particles that I’ve made over the past six months.

A bunch of particles inspired by old vector graphics games.

//youtu.be/JT0oQis5WNw

Spell effects. Detailed textures, layering, and lots of blending.

//youtu.be/12PwJ4C8Gvg

Some looping 2D effects. These are mostly 16 frame flipbooks. I used a script to play the flipbook texture on a single quad.

//youtu.be/prAxitLq_Q4

These were inspired by older arcade shooters and last-gen Nintendo games. I wanted to use simpler textures and less blending.

//youtu.be/eHSQ9CmnDQA

Old-school effects from over ten years ago :eek:
A mix of 3D and 2D effects plus some cutscene effects I worked on.

//youtu.be/w5GIRuoPG_4

awesome stuff! I’ve been learning unity particles at home. are these using the new particle system? or the legacy one.

Thanks Gizmosan!

These are legacy unity particles, but I am using the new system (Shuriken) now. I have a couple of packages at the 50% completion stage that were made with Shuriken.

I’ve made my first web player using Unity. It was fairly easy to do and lets people see the effects in realtime. I plan to make a web player for each of the packages I’ve made.

This package of effects is my latest, theme was evil/horror/weird.

Click here to see the effects in a web player!

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Prohormones
This article will give you all you need to know on what prohormones are still legal and available in 2012.

Really cool stuff! Nice work!

I have sixteen asset packages for sale in the Unity Asset store now. Its been a nice way to make some extra money.

I’m considering returning to the games industry in a year or two, depending on when I finish my electrician apprenticeship. I’m going to be updating my demo reel with some UDK stuff and focusing on tech art. I’ll add a lot more scripted effects and fancy materials.

Here’s some relatively new stuff. Any critiques or feedback is appreciated:

Updated website layout: http://www.ryanjamesblanchard.com/

All of the textures for these particles were painted on my iPod during my lunch breaks.

//youtu.be/rRpGpelEn7I

Energy beam weapon effects.

//youtu.be/y0Wpnv4ydeA

All of the particles in this package use a single solid white square for textures.

//youtu.be/3H9F20eZZIg

great work. I had one crit for the energy beam effects:

They look like two separate pieces jammed together. there’s the ball, then the trail but they dont look like they are one thing. Maybe taper off the trail as it goes from the ball to the beam?

They look cool, just a small crit!

[QUOTE=TheMaxx;23342]great work. I had one crit for the energy beam effects:

They look like two separate pieces jammed together. there’s the ball, then the trail but they dont look like they are one thing. Maybe taper off the trail as it goes from the ball to the beam?

They look cool, just a small crit![/QUOTE]

Thanks Maxx, good point. It is just separate textures overlapping with additive blending, so there is definitely a thing on top of a thing look. I could have spent more time integrating the two together.

lurker emerges from the basement blinking into the light of 2014

…Ahem, heya - so quick question - You guys have any good websites / info / resources for FX development in Unity - my googlefu is actually showing not a lot of info on FX in unity3d…

I’m going to be jumping back into more of an FX role over the coming month and wanted to get up to speed with how people are approaching FX dev in Unity :slight_smile:

Happy new year and any info greatly appreciated!

Cheers

~ Joe =)

[QUOTE=PirateJoe;23384]lurker emerges from the basement blinking into the light of 2014

…Ahem, heya - so quick question - You guys have any good websites / info / resources for FX development in Unity - my googlefu is actually showing not a lot of info on FX in unity3d…

I’m going to be jumping back into more of an FX role over the coming month and wanted to get up to speed with how people are approaching FX dev in Unity :slight_smile:

Happy new year and any info greatly appreciated!

Cheers

~ Joe =)[/QUOTE]

There’s nothing that I’m aware of that is Unity specific. Online tutorials are targeted at people looking for jobs at major studios so UDK tutorials are all I’ve ever found. Unity’s Shuriken particle system is very easy to understand so if you are capable in another engine it will be easy to transfer your skills.

Aye yeah - I’ve got all the principles down with Shuriken , just haven’t touched it for a year - so was just curious to see if much had changed - was taking a peek at what you can do now with Houdini + Unity, but FX still don’t appear to be part of that :slight_smile:

Anyway thanks for the response!

~ Joe :slight_smile:

I’ve built a prototype for a particle previewer app. I often get the question “Does it work on mobile?” when people see my particles. This app will allow anyone to see for themselves directly on their own mobile device.

This prototype is for PC and built with Unity. Next step will be to do an iOS build and test. After that, submit to app store.

Link to exe demo: PC demo of Particle Viewer

I have a free Android app available using the particles in this asset package. The app allows you to tap on the screen and trigger particles.
Free app, no ads.

AVAILABLE HERE: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ryanjamesblanchard.particlepreviewera

iOS version is submitted and waiting for review.