New to FX Art, attached some samples

Hi everyone i’ve finally decided to join the forum and show some of the FX stuff i’m working on.

I’ve been a Modeler for Games and Simulators for about ten years now. The last 4 years i’ve been working in the Simulation industry as a lead 3D Modeler. I’m at the point where i really want to get back into the Game industry and I have decided to learn FX’s as a way to make myself more marketable to a game studio.

I’ve only been working with Unreal’s Cascade for a few months and here’s some of my work so far:
(You can see my full FX’s page here: http://juanvillegas.carbonmade.com

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/jZfBgVtHtAU

//youtu.be/XTwSHUYdovY

Hi Juan and welcome,

I like the sparks and the steam. That fire effect needs a small explanation about how it works or a breakdown so people can comment at a technical level. You don’t have to tell all the details(and trade secrets ;))

I see a low frame-rate problem in some videos such as the rocket effect video. This is what many of us experience when recording live from UDK. If that’s the case, you can try rendering with the benchmark mode instead:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CapturingCinematicsAndGameplay.html

Good luck :wink:

Thanks for the advice about the frame rate! I’m going to look into that! :slight_smile:

The fire was done using DP4P’s Fire tutorial.

Some Feedback on the two videos you posted.

The sparks are to repetitive. It needs more randomness.
The steam in the light doesn’t make much sense, the rest of the room is steamless. The steam would at least show up next to the lights.
The scale of the fire is wrong. A huge fire like that wouldn’t behave like it does. It looks like a campfire scaled up. It would also be nice if it affected the environment. If you can’t afford a dynamic light, try putting in an orange static one.

On the second fire, it’s the same scale problem.
The smoke needs some love. Its fully black and opaque, just to be dissolved a meter up? I’d recommend making it a bit brighter and more transparent. Also, it often looks nice if you give it a softer transition from a nice lit smoke color to the darkness.

Thanks for the feedback Demno, i really appreciate it!

Hopefully this weekend i will have a chance to make some fixes and upload new videos.

I can only understand by FX art that it means custom art framing. There are many images that needs framing and you can do such things by downloading such FX arts. The link mentioned below could not open may be due to server error. if you could attach some more samples of these it could be helpful. Please suggest.

What?

Not sure if it’s a bot or just really poor english/really clueless…

I haven’t posted in a while so i thought i would share some of the newest effects i made in UDK
Any feedback is always appreciated.
[vimeo]55417499[/vimeo]

[vimeo]53388755[/vimeo]

Still a work in progress but I also updated my website layout:
http://juanvillegas.carbonmade.com

Juan: From an artistic POV I think that the shockwave on the poison spell moves a little too fast - and the first green puffs that moves outwards (synched with the shockwave) looks odd. The gas sprite there is static, while the sprites themselves moves very fast - and gas doesn’t behave like that.

And the plasma: I like it - but the gas expansion looks odd: it appears too fast and has a too big startup volume. The fadeout could be longer as well without looking odd. And I dunno but maybe you could add some random sparks in the gas cloud: the ones that are on the ball I like very much so maybe you could use the same stuff there but scale it down for the cloud-part.

But overall I like them. I feel tempted to start doing FX’ myself now :slight_smile:

I finally put together my Demo reel! :slight_smile:
I’m definitely open to suggestions/feedback so let me know what you think.

(new video posted below)

I also updated my website
http://juanvillegas.carbonmade.com

Ok, so I’ve done some major editing to my reel.

• Reduced the length of the C4 sequence.
  • Updated the C4 Explosion (added a light to the explosion, changed the flash image and added debris particles).
  • Reduced the length of the Flash Grenade sequence.
  • Edited the light and ambers on the fire.
  • Reduced the length of the muzzle flash clips.
  • Changed the lighting on the Plasma Grenade.
    [vimeo]59396990[/vimeo]