Anyone tried out the charcoal editor for maya by Zurbrigg?

This editor looks promising from first look… but has anyone had an opportunity to try it out?

http://zurbrigg.com/charcoal-editor

cheers

Jamie

it’s easy enough to just intetgrste Maya with existing ide’s or code editors anyways, I only use the script editor in Maya to view what hits the console. since in my code editor I got a bind for running the selected code, or the whole file in Maya.

Yeah I’m currently using Sublime text 2 and was curious about this plugin…

cheers mate

Looks cool - I’ll give it a try

@ ya sublime2 has a cool little script called MayaSublime, than it is pretty easy to get autocompleation working for the pyhton maya.* moduals, with the skeleton *py files that are in the maya directory.

i do pretty much the same setup, but im a little old school and use gvim, and one of my own scripts for it to get that functionality.

EDIT:
here is the path C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2012\devkit\other\pymel\extras\completion\py it just contains a ton of empty functions and methods, for all the existing pymel, cmds and openmaya stuff so any editor can autocompleat methods from it.

It boggles my mind why people always think they have to reinvent the wheel - and then pay for it. After providing plugins for jEdit and Eclipse specifically for Maya, what else is really needed? Those are free - I never charged for my work at all. And besides, Eclipse allows scripting of all the other languages you need as well (C++, CSS, JSON, Qt, xml, rib, …)

Sucks that you have to buy a damn license before even trying it out.
This goes to the litter bin - no offense

ya i dont like, that but i really fail to see the need, when integration with existing editors and ide’s is so easy, also when a lot of them are free or really cheap. gvim, sublime2, notepad++, and eclipse all got good solutions for tight integration with maya, really i actully dont use the script editor for anything but viewing the returns and outputs of scripts. since it is easier to just have gvim open on my other screen, and just execute stuff from it that runs in maya.

Hello,
If you are using Eclipse , and I guess Pymel , is it normal that the autocompletion does work for all in pymel.core etc… but when you create your own code , that the “object completion” doesn’t work in scope like function or in arrays , for example :

import pymel.core as pm
sel=pm.selected()

sel[0].    # There is no object completion

but this way :

sel=pm.selected()[0]
sel. # there is a object completion 

To contribute to the post : eclipse + pydev + pymel (.pypredef file (in maya instal) to link in eclipse for autocompletion ) works fine (i do basics stuffs , don’t know for the rest) and it is free (there is excelent posts to setup all of these via a rapid google search) and also eclipse maya editor is a free tool in eclipse to make a bridge between eclipse and maya (via commandPort ) that way you hit the classic ctrl+enter and “poouff” it goes to maya. (better than freeze maya with a bad loop , and make a screen shot of your screen before the wheel stops … :sick: )

There is a part in Maya Python for games and film (book) which talks about the subject (which talks about everything in fact…) so I guess there is others posts in the forum about this issues : IDEs choice and setup.

we have charcoal here and i quite like it. It’s a good replacement for the native maya script editor, it is NOT a replacement for eclipse, wing, sublime, et al.

Cool… thx for the feedback… I think that since there is no trial its uptake would be rather minimal…

I’m a big fan of sublime and will keep using that for now…

cheers!

there is a trial for the Charcoal Editor now. I use the Charcoal editor at home for small code snippets. I like the QuickHelp for example. I quickly see the parameters for a maya.cmds or pymel.core method.

[QUOTE=Jamie;19622]Cool… thx for the feedback… I think that since there is no trial its uptake would be rather minimal…

I’m a big fan of sublime and will keep using that for now…

cheers![/QUOTE]