Lock your Python Code

Hello Everyone,

I have recently launched a video on CgCircuit.com on the technique of

Locking your MayaPython Plugin code.

Here is the link of the video : http://www.cgcircuit.com/lessondetailcomplete.php?val=960

I found this technique very useful when you want to or have to give the full ability to use the tool/plugin to third party/a company or a person without exposing the code or algorithm you have come up with.

Just wanted to share the information, I hope you find it useful.

Cheers,
Chayan Vinayak
Technical Artist - Disney

Are you just talking about using bytecode? I’m not sure how you can really hide python code- in fact, I’m quite sure it’s impossible. It’s very easy to decompile bytecode into relatively understandable python.

But since I can’t watch the video maybe I’m missing something.

I’ll also mention how silly and counter productive it is to try to protect code like this anyway.

ya from what i know the best you can do is minefiy it like JS, and really fuck with the method and var names than distribute as the bytecode, but because python is white space dependent even that is harder to do.

still going to be easier to break than minified JS, or any compiled language.

but really if the tools is for in house, fuck it who cares of the code can be viewed, and if your trying to sell it, well just accecpt that there WILL be piracy no matter what, and maybe consider a language like C++ or C#

Everybody be hatin on python locking.