Maya 2014 and PyQt

Is anyone planning to or has already built PyQt for Maya2014?

I don’t need, Maya 2014, to do that right, just need the right python and qt versions like building for 2012?

if so I can set up a build environment later tonight, just need to figure out the right versions. 2014 is python 2.7.x I believe, but I don’t got a clue for its QT version.

It’s true you don’t need Maya2014 to build PyQt4. However, Autodesk usually releases a modified source version of Qt for Maya. They haven’t done that yet but I was trying to see if the normal Qt4.8.2 would still work. I’ve been trying to set things up with VS2010 Express. But it doesn’t come with an x64 command shell. Some web pages suggest to download the latest Windows SDK which does provide an x64 shell. I can’t get it to build with it however.

Actually, They’re providing precompiled binaries for PySide.

Yes, they do have PySide now. But, many people won’t be switching to PySide since all their code would have to be modified first - quite the non-starter. So the smart people are modifying their code to support both - that’s why I need to have a working PyQt as well.

I found that Microsoft has a 30 day evaluation of VS 2010 Pro that is allowing me to compile for x64.

I doubt it would be too difficult to make a 2to3.py type thing for pyqt to pyside. in fact I think i just got my next home project :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t bother. There’s already scripts around that allow both to be run based on the setting of an environment variable.

too late, https://github.com/prusnak/pysider

Wouldn’t it be easier to just use pyside?

If you work at a bigger facility with multiple shows on different versions of Maya and have to keep a common code base, I think you would understand that’s not practical.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to use PySide and PyQt together and share widgets?
As I understand it, they’re both casting to the same C++ Qt so could in theory share objects?

Took me one day to build it with qt-everywhere-opensource-4.8.2 (1), mysql-5.6.10, openssl-1.0.0d, postgresql-9.2.4, PyQt-win-gpl-4.10, sip-4.14.5 and QScintilla-gpl-2.7.1. I used VS2010 (Express should work too, but you will have to build mysql on the command line using msbuild), Win 7 SDK, using this: configure -release -opensource -shared -platform win32-msvc2010 -qt-sql-sqlite -qt-sql-odbc -qt-sql-mysql -qt-sql-psql -webkit -phonon -qt-libjpeg -qt-libtiff -qt-libpng -qt-zlib -l crypt32 -l dnsapi -l secur32 -l gdi32 -l shell32 -openssl-linked.

Modules import fine in Maya 2014. I still want to run some test though to make sure it all really works.

(1) there’s a C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2014\support\opensource\Qt\howToBuildQtOnWindows_m2014.txt file which mentions a customized version of Qt, but I couldn’t find this in the Maya 2014 Trial which I have; doesn’t seem to be on AD’s website either. Further there’s a diff patch, which I haven’t applied. I think it may just be for the OS X version. Anyone know more about this?

Now that it’s been a few weeks since the release of Maya2014, what’s the general consensus? Will people be porting their tools to make use of PySide? For me, I’m just putting the finishing touches on my GraphEditorRedux and Digital Pose Test which now support both PyQt and PySide just by setting an environment variable to the desired package to use.

What’s the exact python version for 2014? Or does it matter any more?

We’re moving to 2014. 2.7 is pretty huge for us since we have some other libraries that are also in 2.7, forcing us to go to 64bit is also a nice perk.

We’ve been using PySide since the beginning because the PyQt license isn’t the most legal department friendly. Nex Modelling tools are a nice addition too.

We’re moving up to 2014 right now too. Thank goodness MoBu is 2.7.3 as well. First hurdle is importing P4.py. Tried perforce versions:

No luck. (DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found. #)

Anybody build perforce against Maya 2014 python?

I’ve built against 2013.5, but not for 2014 yet. Though i dont think 2014 has any surprises 2013.5 didn’t already bring up. Are you building the extension yourself?

Nope. Those were downloaded directly from perforce.com. Though we do build 2011.1 which should work with python 2.7 as well, but same error.

I can’t believe that 2.7.3 is that different from 2.7.

I had to build it for 2014, you need to build it with VS2010, because Maya’s Python 2.7 is different then the mainstream Python 2.7

Well done Luiz. Glad it’s possible.

Hmm, we built using VS2010 too. Any tricks as to C-source you were using? Can you make the binaries generally available?