Maya stack trace debugging

Hello everyone.
Do any of you know of a way to run Maya in debug mode on Windows, similar to running Maya under GDB on Linux (as shown here: http://mayastation.typepad.com/maya-station/2013/02/stack-trace-for-maya-on-linux.html)?

Edit:
I have experimented a bit, and think I am heading in the right direction. I installed MinGW. GDB runs fine, but it fails to recognize my maya.exe as an executable, I think it is because my Maya version is 64bit and apparently MinGW (and the latest GDB for it) is 32bit. So now I’m experimenting with mingw-w64, but haven’t figured that out yet. Should I approach this differently, or am I on the right track?

Are you trying to debug a custom plug-in or are you trying to debug a Maya crash?

I am trying to get a stack trace on a Maya crash.

The only way I’ve ever gotten a full stack trace (on Windows) is by using the debug symbols that are available through the autodesk sparks site.

Which debugger did you use?

I use Visual Studio 2010. I’ve never used MinGW, but I would guess that since Maya for windows is compiled with VS, GDB will be incompatible with the exe (32 or 64bit).

Yep, I figured that out yesterday when I got mingw64 and gdb up and running. It doesn’t launch the application, even though it recognize it as one. I was thinking about using VS to debug it, but I don’t want to have to install VS and launch that on every computer I want to debug Maya on. That’s why I need some kind of fast command line debugger (like GDB) so that the artists don’t need to have VS running in the background every time they work with Maya.

Look into the remote debugging feature of VS. It’s a little finicky to setup, but it doesn’t require VS to be installed on the remote machine.

I guess it will have to do for the time being. Thanks Senkusha :slight_smile: