Unreal Editor 3 Contour Shader

I’m trying to make a custom Post Process effect that effectively finds the outline of everything in the scene based on the zbuffer of the sceneTexture.

As of right now I’ve made no progress. I’m looking to use differential edge detection to find the edges of everything. However I don’t know the math required to accomplish this. The basic process I do know involves taking one image, layering a blurred version of that image on top of it, then using something to the Difference filter in Photoshop, and the result will be the edges.

Here is an example of the effect I’m going for:

I’ve already tried using other techniques, like a reverse phong rimlight, but it was far too jagged for my taste. Any suggestions are welcome and if I didn’t explain anything clear enough please let me know.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=mheyman;3201]I’m trying to make a custom Post Process effect that effectively finds the outline of everything in the scene based on the zbuffer of the sceneTexture.

As of right now I’ve made no progress. I’m looking to use differential edge detection to find the edges of everything. However I don’t know the math required to accomplish this. The basic process I do know involves taking one image, layering a blurred version of that image on top of it, then using something to the Difference filter in Photoshop, and the result will be the edges.

I’ve already tried using other techniques, like a reverse phong rimlight, but it was far too jagged for my taste. Any suggestions are welcome and if I didn’t explain anything clear enough please let me know.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

You could try searching for a few terms like
Sobel filter
Edge detection
NPR

There is plenty of info around on this subject.

etc.

Humus has an example that might be interesting
http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=3D&&start=40

that same artist PolyPhobia/Neox Steffen Unger…
wrote an in depth UE shader tutorial

[QUOTE=mheyman;3201]I’m trying to make a custom Post Process effect that effectively finds the outline of everything in the scene based on the zbuffer of the sceneTexture.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

This is not quite what you are looking for but it does show a very good technique for finding edges. Its an ambient occlusion shader that someone made for unreal 3.0 and it does a pretty good job.

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=625575&highlight=ambient+occlusion+shader

criminal defense lawyer, criminal defense attorney, criminal defense, defense attorney, defense lawyer, federal criminal, criminal law,criminal attorney, criminal lawyer,lawyer,criminal,attorney,law,Attorney,felonyaustin criminal lawyertexas criminal lawyerhouston criminal lawyercriminal lawyer

I think what you’re looking for is a sobel edge overlayed onto your scene.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitGemsSobelEdgeDetection.html