Get python running under heavy load

Hi,

I have python script, compiled with py2exe, that always run on machines to write some infos on a server.
My problem, is that when 3dsmax is rendering, it takes 100% of all cpu cores, and my python script doesn’t write its info file anymore until cpu load get lower.

I ever have my process set to HIGH_PRIORITY_CLASS and dunno what to do ! It specially happens at beginning of rendering with backburner and vray (while building sra for example) when max takes all available processor time.

Any idea ?

Run max on low priority, that’s the only thing I could get to work in the past to work while rendering.

How do you do that, set the 3dsmax.exe to below normal, or some function inside max ? Vray is ever in low priority (checkbox in params).

Just an idea, but instead of writing their infos into files on server, if I make my ‘clients’ writing into a database, would it work better ?

I don’t think so, but what comes to my mind in the first place is that you place some pre-render script that makes sure the 3dsmax.exe process is set to low priority.

I would try something like 3dsmaxProcess = Process.GetProcessesByName(“3dsmax”); and then 3dsmaxProcess.PriorityClass = ProcessPriorityClass.High;

Haven’t tried it, just throwing ideas :slight_smile:

Another thought… why don’t you use the .py version of your script as a pre-render script in Max to send over the info to your server? If you’re using Max 2014 + SAP or higher it can probably be done that way.

It isn’t specifically max infos. Each machine send infos on his state every few seconds. When max isn’t rendering, and even so in 90% of time, everything is right. But sometimes when render start (compiling the scene), the client doesn’t write his report (he write it again after max start rendering in vfb).

Got it, then I say your best chances are to toggle all max+vray stuff to lowpriority.

I have set this in a startup script :

sysInfo.MAXPriority = #low

will see if it solve the problem. At least it works and set max process low priority for both interactive and netrender

If you want i only for backburner :
if (isnetserver()) do sysinfo.maxpriority = #low