[PySide][3dsMax 2015] Eclipse PyDev interpreter issues

Has anyone managed to get PyDev to run with the 3dsMax installation of python and PySide?

I’ve added all the paths to the interpreter, but for some reason it can’t seem to find the PySide DLL. I’ve tried adding the root of 3dsMax to the external library and interpreter lib and it’s still not working. Not sure how to get PyDev to recognize external libraries. In fact it won’t recognize the project modules which I manually added as part of PYTHONPATH.

More confusing is that I can import PySide in the command console, so it finds the package, but when I try fetching child modules it spits out the error “ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.”

Anyone get this to work with PyDev?

Are you installing PySide? I’m asking because 3ds Max 2015 is bundled with PySide so no need to install it. If you have in another python install then it might be an issue with getting the correct version running/paths/environment variables.

Have you looked at my website and tried PyCharm for python and 3ds Max development? If not, try it: www.youcandoitvfx.com and let me know if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help.

Cheers,
Artur Leao

I started testing PyCharm and I’m loving it. I’ll definitely be checking out the PyCharm utilities you provide!

Turns out that my issue was that a reboot was required after setting the path environment variable for the local machine. We’re trying to streamline python tool deployment and we’re noticing that with 3dsMax it’s a bit of a nightmare compared to Maya (module files are incredibly useful for this).

The only method I found of setting the path variable on the fly without going through the registry, is using the shell command SETX.

Yes, that should work. I also use the User Env. Variables instead of System.