3dsmax - FBX Export & Tangents not calculated correctly - Help?

Does anyone know how to solve the problem of 3DSMAX exporting tangents in FBX as a per face average instead of per-vertex?

Has anyone written a tangent calculation fix? or know of a work-around?
I saw this post - forums.autodesk.com/t5/FBX-Plug-ins-Import-Export/Tangents-amp-BiNormals-issues-FBX-2013-2-3dsmax-and-Maya-exports/td-p/4257978

which is the closest I have come to finding a solution

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Ash

Hey, I used to work with moppius, who posted that. We indeed ended up with a small custom ‘fixFBX.exe’ that would be called by our pipeline. This was written in house by a graphics programmer.
I’m clueless as to why Autodesk doesn’t bother fixing this. That said, I now work with a Maya pipeline, so I’m not too up to date with how things are with Max (might be fixed on latest?). We’ve ran into some other FBX exporting issues with Maya here, but since we’re paying Autodesk for ‘custom consulting time’ they are actually doing custom fixes for us (which are very slow to eventually find their way back in to public releases I think). It’s a bit of a perverse situation really, but at least it works for us…

Our studio did the same. We convert FBX to custom format and part of the c converter code our graphics guru wrote adjusts the data as it converts.
He said " we had to make sure the tangents and binormals line up" I believe we actually recalculated values based on the vertex normals being passed in -but the technical details are beyond my pay grade.

thread bump because this is happening again in our pipeline.
It looks like the very latest FBX exporter is still FBX Plug-in version 2013.3
We were hoping that Auto desk might have updated their software and fixed this bug.
Autodesk has updated the FBX sdk to 2016 but not the plug ins, it seems.

Does anyone have evidence to the contrary?

This might not answer your question, but our art department had an issue with 3dsMax 2015 SP3 FBX export plugins not exporting tangents correctly. Imported geo had incorrect tangents in engine.

We reverted to a previous SP and it works as expected.