Courses for aspiring tech artists

Hi guys,

I’m new to the forum, and I guess the career path. I’m currently a level designer at a mid-sized studio but wanting to move into tech art. I’ve been told I have the aptitude for it and I picked up Maxscript fairly quickly when taught by our in-house TA. I studied C++ at school, and am familiar with 3ds Max, Unity, UDK and have even made a level in Source so I’m wondering what to do next to broaden my skill set.

I’m considering going back to school and am curious if their are any schools/programs that provide some tech art specialized courses (I’m in Canada btw). Or any generally recommended courses.

Thanks for your help!

Hey there Pixel,

As far as standardized curriculum, there isn’t a whole lot set up currently, but there are more programs getting started. I apologize, but I am pretty unfamiliar with Canadian options for technical art training, so I’ll speak to the American options that I know of.

I teach in a masters level program out of the University of Central Florida, called the Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy (FIEA). Technical Art is kind of set up like a sub track/specialization option for the Art program there. It is three semesters + a semester long internship of production environment education.

I think SoCal also has some tech art instruction set up, and I believe that something is in the works down in Texas, but I am a bit fuzzy on that. Anyone who knows any other programs that are up and running, let me know, I’d love to hear about them. Most people I have spoken with never got formal instruction in school, and had to pick it up as they went.

If you really want to go back to school, then I would recommend any school that has a solid tech art program/track set up in a production environment (this, to me, is a key part of getting any practical experience as a TA while in an educational environment). If you are just looking to build skills, this forum is filled of many awesome people’s opinions on what makes a solid TA. Find an area that interests you and research/mad science the hell out of it.

Hope this is helpful,
Mary

[QUOTE=Pixel;25036]Hi guys,

I’m new to the forum, and I guess the career path. I’m currently a level designer at a mid-sized studio but wanting to move into tech art. I’ve been told I have the aptitude for it and I picked up Maxscript fairly quickly when taught by our in-house TA. I studied C++ at school, and am familiar with 3ds Max, Unity, UDK and have even made a level in Source so I’m wondering what to do next to broaden my skill set.

I’m considering going back to school and am curious if their are any schools/programs that provide some tech art specialized courses (I’m in Canada btw). Or any generally recommended courses.

Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

Animschool has a good character and rigging long form track and a few other more rigging related tracks. Paul Neal http://www.paulneale.com/ has some nice max rigging master classes but it depends on what you want to do in the tech art field? Particle/shader work, character, pipeline and tools/plugins ?

Rigging Dojo (My plug) has diffrent forms of short term training that are a good fit for some people but translating your existing coding skill to python and then Maya maybe or another DCC would be a good place to start.

[QUOTE=bclark;25074]Animschool has a good character and rigging long form track and a few other more rigging related tracks. Paul Neal http://www.paulneale.com/ has some nice max rigging master classes but it depends on what you want to do in the tech art field? Particle/shader work, character, pipeline and tools/plugins ?

Rigging Dojo (My plug) has diffrent forms of short term training that are a good fit for some people but translating your existing coding skill to python and then Maya maybe or another DCC would be a good place to start.[/QUOTE]

Approx. how many hours a week do I have to spend in order to keep up with that rigging course?
I’m a professional but rigging is an area where I’m lacking.

What area of technical art do you want to get involved with? The two previous posts have mentioned rigging but of course there are many other areas.

NVM :slight_smile: