Where is a good place to start?

What I mean by that is where you start in the industry. Whether as a tech artist you should start as an artist, in a management position of sort, production, or programming; whether it’s in or out of a game company? And if you don’t start right away in any game company how to build up your work and resume to be a part of any game company’s tech artist team once you qualify to apply.

Let me ask you this, why do you want to be a tech-artist?

There is no specific path on becoming a tech artist, you make it yourself.
Know your strengths and your weaknesses. This way you can create your own opportunities whether it is at a game company or not.

A lot will depend on your portfolio and your attitude. So best is to start with a killer portfolio and start asking feedback on this forum.

I want to be a tech artist is because i love to help people and solve problems that deal with the production of games and working in the creative enviroment of a team working on a game.

I know where a lot of my strenghts are and a lot more of them for game building lie in logic, function, organization and being able to see certain risks and being able to tell when to take something off the table because there is no time for it.

I do know that i make a great 3D prop modler and work well/great in most of the Adobe suite for my art.

Okay, so now you have something to reflect on, the next challenge is to reflect this in a portfolio.

Not all skills can be captured in a portfolio, so looking into jobs that can give you those skills to become a technical artist are also a win.

you never know if you maybe can already start helping out indie studios or small projects.