Creating a character picker using QT

Hi everyone. I’m interested in creating a character picker and I’ve done that sucessfully in the past using MEL.
This time around I would like to do it with QT to really make it shine and to learn some new tricks.
I have played around doing it in Python and sucessfully created bidirectional selection(If the hand is selected in the viewport it is also selected in the UI, and vice versa).

1. Can you incorporate rectangle selection. Selecting many controls the same way like in the viewport?
  2. Is it possible to draw custom shapes for selections? Kind of like ZVGUI?

Years ago, I read a tutorial when HTML was still supported in Maya, making it possible to create pretty cool looking UI:s.
Never got an answer to why HTML was removed.

i have created somthing like it in qt with a qgraphicsscene, it allows you to create rectangles but also custom geometry. most qwidgets that use some kind of selection have a selection mode implemented so its quite easy to change to rectangle selection. lasso selection is not implemented i believe or i just havent found it yet

Awesome, thanks. So I’ll just have to start reading up on qgraphicsscene then. I’ll be back with questions, I’m sure.