[PYTHON][Visual SourceSafe]Accessing files in Visual SourceSafe

I’m trying to access some Excel files in Visual SourceSafe, check them out, edit them and check them back in all via Python.
After some research online I’ve found some code to help with this process:

import win32com.client
vss = win32com.client.Dispatch(‘SourceSafe6’)

But I immediately get this error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “D:\Users\adrian.melian\Desktop\excelCom.py”, line 8, in <module>
vss = win32com.client.Dispatch(‘SourceSafe’)
File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\win32com\client_init_.py”, line 95, in Dispatch
dispatch, userName = dynamic._GetGoodDispatchAndUserName(dispatch,userName,clsctx)
File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py”, line 114, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
return (_GetGoodDispatch(IDispatch, clsctx), userName)
File “C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py”, line 91, in _GetGoodDispatch
IDispatch = pythoncom.CoCreateInstance(IDispatch, None, clsctx, pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147221005, ‘Invalid class string’, None, None)
[Finished in 0.1s with exit code 1]

What am I doing wrong?
Is “SourceSafe” not the correct way of accessing Visual Source Safe?

I’ve tried accessing Excel with:
excel = win32com.client.Dispatch(‘Excel.Application’)
And that works perfectly.

Thanks for any help!
Best,
Adrian

Google is a programmer’s best friend…
VSS integration module for Python

That is why I am here asking the tech-artist community. I’ve gone through extensive google research to find an answer before coming here (obviously). I could not find any good information in my research. Maybe I’m not searching for the correct thing, which is also why I came here to possibly get an explanation of what my problem is and how to learn to fix it.
Google is most certainly a programmers best friend, I think every programmer knows that. Which is why when google doesn’t come through people come here, right?
Did you do a quick google search and find a solution? If so, it’s totally understandable that you would be super rude and unhelpful but dude, I probably dont have as much experience as you and I’m still learning. So if you did find a solution quickly through google could you send me what you searched for?

Adrian,

I was not being rude. The link to the VSS integration module for Python that I found is right there in my reply.

Sounds like a classic internet-loss-of-tone-of-voice, people :slight_smile: If you want rude, go to StackOverflow