Maya 2016 Referencing with multiple levels slowness

Hey everyone,

We have a scenes where we’re just two levels deep with referencing.
Scene-|
|-Rig Ref-|
|-Model Ref

When the scene is loading the model ref, it is extremely slow. But when we reference just the model as a top level, the speed in which it loads is normal. Has anyone else seen this in 2016 at all?

So it turns out the issue was with skinning, referencing the model file directly wouldn’t cause an issue, but as a two level deep, the skinning would take forever to process on loading the file. After blowing that away and rebuilding the skinning the file would reference fine at any level.

Looking at the file there was nothing unusual with the skinning data and connections, but it something to keep an eye on in the future of 2016 files. Does anyone have any tips to debugging reference file loads?

With slow loading times of references I always first check the reference edits.
Since they are processed as sequential MEL commands they are definitely not multi-threaded.
Things like weight painting as reference edits end up being a set weights command per vertex, which could result in a long slow list on more complex models.

Does that help?

[QUOTE=BigRoyNL;27706]With slow loading times of references I always first check the reference edits.
Since they are processed as sequential MEL commands they are definitely not multi-threaded.
Things like weight painting as reference edits end up being a [I]set weights command per vertex, which could result in a long slow list on more complex models.

Does that help?[/QUOTE]

Yep, I’ve worked with and against ref edits in the past. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s a good reminder to take a look and see if there are any weird edits going on.