[Maya] - Nvidia openGL Driver crash?

Hey everyone,

I don’t suppose anyone here would by chance know a fix for the below crash window I get from Maya? I’ve updated my GTX 980 drivers and I am running Maya 2015 with the most recent service pack. I’m not running SLI (I have 3 980 GTX cards) and I’ve gone into the Nvidia control panel and disabled adaptable power (turned it to max performance) and I’m still getting this issue.

My next step is going to see about updating my openGL drivers? I’ve never had to do this before. Any thoughts? I didn’t want to post this on the tech talk bit of the forum, since it’s not really VFX technical, just some Maya/driver crud.

Thank you,

Just wanted to say that I rolled back to an older Nvidia driver (347.88) and the problem is still persisting. I’ll keep on keeping on and post something in this thread if I find a solution to this conundrum.

Thank you.

Some folks have solved these kinds of problems by disabling the Nvidia Powermizer stuff. https://www.google.com/webhp?ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=disable+Nvidia+Powermizer

No idea if this will help you though.

we have been seeing this as well. not everyone is affected and it seems to be driver-based.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve rolled back to 347.88 and still am having issues. I’m going to roll back to 345.20 to see if that does anything. Maya seems to crash consistently with heavy scenes now. Such a waste of time. Maybe it’s some under handed way of Nvidia to get us all to pay 2x more for quadro cards.

I’ll let everyone here know if/when I find a fix for this. Please also let me know if you come across anything yourself. This is a major issue and it seems to be affecting people playing Minecraft to working with Blender…

Thanks,

Alright, I think I got confused and I speculate that btribble was correct with the Powermizer stuff. I say that because I rolled back to 345.20 and then tried to kill powermizer (which I thought was the image below… I was mistaken since it’s apparently something completely different than the settings in the Nvidia control panel)-

When attempting to kill the powermizer, I tried a software solution as opposed to junkin’ around in the registry (program does it for you) - http://www.overclock.net/t/683583/how-to-adjust-nvidias-powermizer

After I rolled back I was notified that the Powermizer (what a stupid name… I feel like I’m losing braincells every time I type it) was not detected (I assume that it wasn’t included in this driver’s release).

Now I’m not getting any crashes from Maya (so far). I’ll let you guys know if the problem comes up again, but I’m guessing this whole powermizer (*twitch *twitch) was the culprit.

Thank you btribble and everyone else here for the support.

Glad to hear you’re working!

Well. Now it’s changed to Error code 9 at least, so progress? Lol.

This time though I did have Premiere pro CC 2016 opened too… That’s probably what crashed it (I hope).

Thing is that I have 3 GTX 980 cards (not SLI’d) and 64gb of Ram… I went overboard specifically because I knew I’d be running a lot of things at once for production… Is there any way to specify what programs use what video card? It’s almost like I have all this graphical power, but the computer is doing a shit job of delegating what cards do what.

At least this is progress! Thanks again. Worst comes to worst I cannot chop my playblasts while I make them (which sort of sucks)

I have a question about your system. Do the three 980 GTX cards accelerate the maya viewport 2.0 without SLI? I would improve my system to maya VP 2.0 and I really don’t understand more than one video card how can speed up my system.

I do not believe Maya can utilize SLI or more than one video card. This might be different with Maya 2016 as in that release it has apparently become multi-threaded and can utilize video cards and entire CPU for viewport playback. That being said my logic behind having 3 980 cards (probably overkill… two would of been plenty) is to have one card running Maya viewport and another to be running Vray RT.

One of the issues I realized after getting the rig at work is that I cannot figure out how to delegate what card Maya uses (unlike Vray RT where you can specify, but this really doesn’t do me any good because I don’t know which card Maya it utilizing). I need to do more research.

On a side note, switching to DirectX the Maya settings for viewport cleaned my issue, but isn’t something I can work in all the time since for whatever reason Vray materials don’t preview in the viewport when running DirectX. I would think this would be a basic functionality inside of Vray to be compatible with DirectX in Maya’s viewport. Even though Maya has been developed around OpenGL (unless I’m thinking of OpenCL that it was developed around).

Anyway, things seem to be stable as of now and I can run Maya and Premiere side by side as long as Maya is in directX mode (in Maya). This is nice because I really enjoy creating playblasts and editing them into a rough cut right away so I can figure out what my camera’s need to be doing and get direct feedback as to how the look and feel of the animation in the production is going.

[QUOTE=9krausec;27997]I do not believe Maya can utilize SLI or more than one video card. This might be different with Maya 2016 as in that release it has apparently become multi-threaded and can utilize video cards and entire CPU for viewport playback. That being said my logic behind having 3 980 cards (probably overkill… two would of been plenty) is to have one card running Maya viewport and another to be running Vray RT.

One of the issues I realized after getting the rig at work is that I cannot figure out how to delegate what card Maya uses (unlike Vray RT where you can specify, but this really doesn’t do me any good because I don’t know which card Maya it utilizing). I need to do more research.

On a side note, switching to DirectX the Maya settings for viewport cleaned my issue, but isn’t something I can work in all the time since for whatever reason Vray materials don’t preview in the viewport when running DirectX. I would think this would be a basic functionality inside of Vray to be compatible with DirectX in Maya’s viewport. Even though Maya has been developed around OpenGL (unless I’m thinking of OpenCL that it was developed around).

Anyway, things seem to be stable as of now and I can run Maya and Premiere side by side as long as Maya is in directX mode (in Maya). This is nice because I really enjoy creating playblasts and editing them into a rough cut right away so I can figure out what my camera’s need to be doing and get direct feedback as to how the look and feel of the animation in the production is going.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.