A question about showreel's

Hello all! My first post on here!

I’m a recent graduate and planning to do a project that would demonstrate my skills and be my new showreel, as my current one is just too damn awful :blank:

I wanted to ask a couple of questions to people who have and/or still work in the CG industry, as I wanted to hear from your point of view/opinion and experience, rather than a recruiter’s.

So question time:

1. How did you start off in the industry?

2. If you were viewing a graduate showreel now, what elements would you be expecting to see in a jr. rigger/entry techinal role?

3. What’s the common problems you see in student showreels?

Any guidance would be much appreciated :D:

Thanks

I have never created a showreel, so I might not be the best to answer this, but …
When I see one, I observe it this way.

For every piece of work, I ask myself these questions:

1. Why
  2. How
  3. What

I am much interested in someone process then the end result.
So knowing first why this person made this, how ( in terms of pipeline, workflow, efficiency, … ) and what to see the final result that came out of that.

To answer A:
I did an internship of 4 months and worked on my portfolio at the same time. I was very active asking for feedback in communities like tech-artists and polycount and progressed a lot from all of that. Then I got a job at Codemasters. I was lucky to have been contacted by a recruiter.

[QUOTE=Nysuatro;28420]I have never created a showreel, so I might not be the best to answer this, but …
When I see one, I observe it this way.

For every piece of work, I ask myself these questions:

1. Why
  2. How
  3. What

I am much interested in someone process then the end result.
So knowing first why this person made this, how ( in terms of pipeline, workflow, efficiency, … ) and what to see the final result that came out of that.

To answer A:
I did an internship of 4 months and worked on my portfolio at the same time. I was very active asking for feedback in communities like tech-artists and polycount and progressed a lot from all of that. Then I got a job at Codemasters. I was lucky to have been contacted by a recruiter.[/QUOTE]

I was offered 2 jobs at code masters and turned both down. Not because of the company but because I was really busy with other work I had planned all year. Then I got my new job and kazzoooo,