[Maya] - Bifröst assumes 1 scene unit = 1 meter

Hey folks,

I had a question about working with Bifröst in Maya specifically relating to scene scale. So I usually work in centimeters for everything as a default. I find that I’m not modeling buildings or super large objects and Centimeters makes sense (to me).

So then, when I learned that Bifröst inside of Maya assumes every scene unit is a meter, I started wondering how the best way to work would be.

I don’t use Bifröst everyday, but when I do what would be the most optimal way to set my scene up for an accurate simulation? Would you simply scale the scene down, do the fluid sim, bake the fluid sim and scale the scene and the fluid mesh back up? I feel that if you were to scale everything down when working in centimeters (or anything besides meters) would add complications as light calculations would still be performed at your original units.

So what’s the best way to work with Bifrost from using centimeters as your standard scene unit?

Thanks

The documentation seems to have a section on adjusting the bifrost units/scale.

The example they’ve got also seems to be all about getting the scale set to be more compatible with Maya’s defaults.

[QUOTE=R.White;28459]The documentation seems to have a section on adjusting the bifrost units/scale.

The example they’ve got also seems to be all about getting the scale set to be more compatible with Maya’s defaults.[/QUOTE]

“For example, if your scene is modeled to a scale of 1 unit being equal to 1 centimeter, then you should change the value of Gravity Magnitude on the bifrostLiquidContainer node to 980 (9.8m/s2 = 980cm/s2). This may cause some issues related to high velocity values relative to the voxel size, in which case you may need adjust the transport step values”

Thanks R.White! Who would of thought that the answer would be in the documentation (Maybe I should start pressing F1 more frequently). Thanks again! I’ll just keep on using centimeters as my primary and make the adjustments in Bifrost when need be.