Hind Legs - Parenting question

I’ve been following this vague (very good up until the final part) tutorial on how to create hind legs for quadrupeds and I am stuck. (http://morganloomis.com/2011/the-hind-leg/)

Primary chain is driven by Spring IK and Nested chain is driven by RP IK. In the tutorial he tells you that in the end all you have to do is create an SDK for the rotation of the secondary chain (nested chain) and you’ve got yourself a pitch/flex control.

The problem is, he doesn’t say how I am supposed to link the chains together? If the spring ik is driving the primary chain, then how is secondary chain going to affect it? (creating any sort of constraint breaks the nested chain)

Any ideas? Hind legs are a nightmare to deal with and there’s absolutely no good tutorials on how to set it up from start to finish.

The hierarchy:

Hi , I don’t know if you’ve already solved the problem by now but recently I made a similar setup. What I did then was parent the secondary IK handle ( the IK RP handle) under the IK Spring handle. After that you can create a controller or set driven key to control the rotation of the 1st joint in your secondary IK chain. All that’s left then is to create a control for your foot and parent your IK Spring handle ( with IK RP handle underneath) to it.
I hope this helps you out :slight_smile:

just parent the second chain to the first bone of the main chain and constraint 2 ikhandles