Maya 2016 = busted?

Are other people experiencing a lot of wierdness with 2016 SP3? We tested it on a small group for a month with no major issues, but now that we’ve rolled everybody over we’re seeing a lot of issues. The two really obvious things are fatal crashes that arise when you try to edit ShaderFX shaders, and people randomly losing their undo state. I’ll post hard repro cases if we get them, but this seems really shoddy for a third service pack. Is it just us?

I wouldn’t say it’s busted but, I haven’t experienced this many strange crashes in a long period of time. Texture deformers have been causing me a lot of fatal crashes without save attempts. My strangest issue though was a crash after 4 frame changes (playback or clicking around on the timeline) after removing a fluid container from a scene. When left in the scene the crash would not occur. I’ll be upgrading to sp3 today hopefully that alleviates some issues, probably not the really strange ones though!

we just rolled out sp3 to our team recently after a small group tested it. so far we haven’t seen what you are describing, but I will be more vigilant and let you know if we see similar problems.

check plugins too, i know turtle used to cause a lot of problems just being loaded. Maybe an updated plugin is to blame?

Our biggest villain seems to be something int the Hypershade that hard-crashes maya if you do the Wrong Thing – but it’s not entirely clear what the Wrong Thing is (it seems to be related to the properties panel, though…)

we had a lot of problems with the new Solo Mode in Hypershade and the new Lookdev mode.

We disabled both and most of our crashes went away.
I logged a bug with Autodesk, lemme look it up.

Edit: The Solo bug was related to Remove Duplicate Materials, not the crash with Hypershade.

Here are the notes I provided Autodesk with on the HyperShade Crash

Subject:

Maya crashes when opening the Hypershade after opening a Scene

Description:

Maya will crash when opening the Hypershade Window, if the Hypershade window was open before loading a scene file.

1. Create a temporary file containing a simple cube and save it.
  2. Restart Maya.
  3. When Maya finishes loading, open the HyperShade.
  4. Open the temporary file created earlier.
    4a. You should notice that Maya closed the HyperShade window.
  5. Open the HyperShade once the temp file is finished loading.
  6. Maya should crash 100% repro.

A couple of other observations.

1. If I manually close the Hypershade before opening a file, the HyperShade will not crash when I re-open it. Maya only crashes if I leave the Hypershade open when I load a different scene file.

2. Creating a new scene does not close the Hypershade. The HyperShade window only appears to be closed when opening a file.

3. If Restore Saved Layouts is enabled in the Preferences, and the file you are opening had the HyperShade window visible when it was saved, Maya will crash right away.

Also, the crash seems to be related to Auxiliary Nodes:

This is an additional piece of information that is critical to reproducing the crash.

1. Open the HyperGraph Hierarchy Window
  2. Under the Show Menu, enable Show Auxiliary Nodes
  3. Save Preferences and Restart Maya.
  4. Follow the steps outlined in the original report.

The exact thing happened with us. We tested things out and didn’t find issues, liked the new features and interface, so decided to get it installed on everyone’s computers, then had some initial bumps and now nobody wants to use it. One really bad one though is a memory leak issue with the UV Editor (that we think we pinpointed) that happens when you have multiple UV sets. We contacted Autodesk, and the answer we got was kind of just a “woops, sorry, we’ll fix it in next year’s release” which was pretty surprising for such a big issue. Also a few people have had other random issues on their machines.

Service Pack 4 for 2016 fixed the Hypershade related crash while displaying auxiliary nodes.

Do you have a 2016 SP4? I don’t see it on the website…

I installed it through the application manager.

LT?

try this link:

I ended up rolling back on the 20 that were using it in our studio. We render with Arnold and even with that for some reason the systems would cease up and crash/ freeze on screen and not allow you to close off maya until you killed the tasks.