Creating simple 2d fluid simulations

I wanna know what your approach would be to this.
The result I’m after is something like the liquids in games such as “Where’s my water” and “World of Goo”:

Also, below (Wave machine):
http://google.github.io/liquidfun/

I know about nParticles and Fluids in Maya, but despite being very experienced with said 3d application I have no experience with dynamics and I simply don’t have time to sit down and just experiment for 2 weeks.

I’m only interested in 2d. I want to setup some experiment where you say for instance, pour some fluid into a container such as a jar or a vial. Then I plan on rendering this out to a sprite sheet (might become a very big sheet so I dunno if it’s a good idea).

There’s a couple games out there that do 2D fluids:

Puddle

And one for iOS that I can’t find for the life of me. The premise is you draw blocks on the screen and have to get fluids from place to place. I hate trying to find apps on iOS after I’ve played them.

[QUOTE=ozzmeister00;29593]There’s a couple games out there that do 2D fluids:

Puddle

And one for iOS that I can’t find for the life of me. The premise is you draw blocks on the screen and have to get fluids from place to place. I hate trying to find apps on iOS after I’ve played them.[/QUOTE]
Where’s My Water?
PixelJunk Shooter
World of Goo
etc… I’ve looked at many games. What I’m interested in is how I recreate this in Maya. I cannot disclose why I need it for Maya really (because of NDA and all that).
Either way, is it even worth trying to render out a fluid sim as a sprite sheet? The sheet would probably become very large, and there is a big risk of making the liquid look weird. You would basically need to sprite anims on top of each other: one for the splash and one for a neutral water state.

[QUOTE=Nightshade;29595]Where’s My Water?
PixelJunk Shooter
World of Goo
etc… I’ve looked at many games. What I’m interested in is how I recreate this in Maya. I cannot disclose why I need it for Maya really (because of NDA and all that).
Either way, is it even worth trying to render out a fluid sim as a sprite sheet? The sheet would probably become very large, and there is a big risk of making the liquid look weird. You would basically need to sprite anims on top of each other: one for the splash and one for a neutral water state.[/QUOTE]

It’s totally acceptable to render a fluid sim into an 8x8 sprite sheet if the animations isn’t very long. You would have to figure out a way to make it loop but unfortunately I only know ways to do this using houdini and not maya fluids. It’s a bit of a pain to render maya fluid sims into sprite sheets since you have to use after effects. If you want to try I recommend you look at :

and the following chapter. In your case since you dont really know how to work with maya fluids, it would take you a while to get to a good result. I dont think its worth your time to be honest.