(3DS Max) Rendering World Space Reflections into UV Space

Hello Everyone,

My current project has a 3d scene with a static camera, we would like to pre-bake the reflections into the textures of this scene.

The current bake pipeline produces textures using render to texture with uvmapped low poly object using projections on a high poly object with vray materials and lighting.

What the team wants to achieve is rendering the reflection as seen from the static camera into these textures.

I’m having trouble finding online resources for this problem, does anyone have any suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Please correct me if Im not understanding this correctly.

Edit: actually Im pretty sure if you render to texture with a complete map on you get the reflection from whatever your current viewport camera is, eliminating the steps of needing to project a new UV coord. I could be wrong as I don’t have max in front of me.

If you simple want to bake the reflection from a static camera, I think you could just project a new UV channel from the camera, render a refection pass from the camera and then apply the render as a texture to the model into the new UV channel. If you need it to be all on one channel you could just use that new texture and “Render to Texture” it into one of your original UV channels. You’ll probably want to make sure your camera is ortho.

Your other option is to generate a cube map although that wont be quite the same so it might not be what you’re after. Here is the first quick tutorial on cube maps I found for max
http://arlab.com/doc/arlab/product/3d_engine/exporters/3ds_max/4.advanced/cube_map_generation