When to not troubleshoot: instead redraw the joints?

Good day, evening, etc.

I’m just full of questions on here today!

So I have a horrible mesh, which isn’t the subject in this case, but rather, I’ve drawn joints and went to fix the orientation of a few of the joints. As you can guess, yes I had some y in the spine point towards the ‘back’, and some forward towards camera, which is what I want, err well, the ones pointing forward :). Some on the legs also did that, not all just a couple.

I’ll attache the file for you all to peruse and tear me apart. Here’s the thing. I am applying a technique I learned from DT where he eventually scripts it, which is cool but neither here nor there right now. So, back to the steps. He unparents the joints in question and uses the reorient tool on the joint to be aligned. he then creates a locator, snapping to the joint and then pulling out in the z. using an aim constraint and the locator as the up in object(er close enough), he forces the joint to point towards the child. Then comes the fun stuff, deleting the constraint created, goes into the attributes and transfers the rotations into the joint orient, goes back to the channel box zeroing out the rotations. This reorients it properly and can now be reparented. problem is, it didn’t work that way for me. Also you’ll notice in my file the hip joint has multiple translates and shouldn’t, the main joint, doesn’t which it should. Also the rest of the leg joints when reattached, regain transforms in more than one translate, an issue as they are not clean :(. Now, I’ve tried all sorts of resetting, etc.

Here’s the question. Would it be standard practice for what you see to just recreate the chains that are messed up, or is there a way to fix it properly? I have no idea at this point what to do with them other than redraw them. Would this always be the answer?

Thanks!

Oh, here’s the dropbox link: