Tech Artist skill requirements and Education

Hi There

this is my first post on the forum so nice to meet you all?

my name is David Edwards and i’m a lecturer at Staffordshire University. i’m currently exploring the market for modules/course that would prepare undergraduate students for a career centered around working as a technical Artist in the games industry.
i know current industry artists, designers, programmers etc have a mixed opinion of games-art/design/programming courses at universities (along with qualifications gained from them). Hopefully this could be readdressed through the relativity of the course and modules to the games industry and delivering what an employer is looking for.

I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions on a course of this nature. any suggestions of content or focus would be appreciated and welcomed.
currently these are the aspects of study that are being considered:

MAXScript - UI & tool creation

UScript and Game engine - development of compitent game engine manipulation through code. developing game types, mutators, TC’s etc

Shader development - use of unreal material editor, shaderFX, to develop shaders (possibly looking at something like RenderMan to write shaders)

Character rigging - development and implimentation of custom rigs

Art Asset generation - development of 3d skills with max, zbrush, for environments and characters

if you feel that there is an area which has been overlooked please feel free to let me know. make suggestions, comments and feedback.

i appreciate your time for reading this long first post

All the best

Dave

All of the items you mentioned look appropriate to me. The important piece that ties them together is why you need to do any of it at all.

I personally adhere to the idea that my purpose is to reduce the complexity that many artists encounter day to day and balance that against the time they have and the number of items that have to be developed. If I’ve done my work properly, I hope that I can minimize support of the tools and continue with the support of the artist.

Actual experience is best IMHO, but I would include a lecture from at least someone in the industry who could go through the cycle of identifying a problem, the planning of a solution, the implementation and how it worked out.

I think that a person with a technical slant can learn many of the practical things you list above, but it can be costly when someone isn’t sure how to identify the problem or know what they are really trying to solve. Tools can easily add as much complexity as they can reduce.

J.

These days you can learn almost everything there is to know about this stuff for free on the internet, but having the right frame of mind to dive into a complex problem with a clear head and identify/solve a problem under pressure is something you only learn through experience.

Don’t just teach them how to create assets, try to give them complex problem solving scenarios involving those assets so they can get a little experience in that area since it is a very large part of being a technical artist.

I agree, the most valuable tool I have is figuring out a problem; what is it, a work around, maybe even a fix.

Maybe it is a good idea to contact my school.
http://www.digitalartsandentertainment.be
They are already working for 3 years on a course for technical artist.
And it is going well. The email of the lead of the department is on the site.

The way my school was setup (University of Central Florida) was:

It was a 2 year program, first year you learn the basics, second year you work on a project. Within that first year you need to take modelling, basic Maya, intro to animation, etc etc on the first semester, and on the second semester you could pick your classes.

One of those second semester classes was a more technical class centered around shaders, lighting, scripting.

Then during the production part of the year the students sort of fell into the roles they liked, I was writing all of the pipeline script to manage moving files around from macs to windows to linux boxes, doing all the rigging and scripting and setting up the renderfarm.

That was really good preparation for the real world, even though the course was film based, I got a job at EA right out of school, and a few of my classmates did as well.

I think part of the issue the industry has with the “game design” type courses is that the students usually just get taught which buttons they need to push in order to do A,B or C, and not why they’re pressing those buttons.

But for the technical artists in particular it’s really hard to teach them without interaction with the other disciplines because that’s 90% of our jobs, it’s solving the problems that are too technical for them. It’s also REALLY hard to teach tech-artists on an art only program, you need interaction with programmers.

Just my 2 cents =) Hope that helps

I’ll add my two cents too. :slight_smile:

I come from one of those digital games / game programming courses that are very recent. I was one of the first people to graduate there.

One of the things that really helped me as to move to a technical artist position was the fact that the course I took was heavily programming.

We would be given a certain ‘engine’ or toolset (c++ and opengl, c# and xna, java and midp/stuff for cellphones), and we would try and finish a simple game project till the end of the semester.

Programming (specially graphics) was very important to understand the restrictions, methods and pipelines for the art assets in those projects. That experience gave me the skillset and mindset to solve problems on my job later on.

The course outline you wrote there looks very promising to me. Of it all, I would say that letting students learn how to create proper assets, and then later on teach them how to integrate them with a game engine would be my choice.

Thanks for the feedback so far. its great to get some feedback on this.

I do have a few questions to those that did answer if they wouldn’t mind answering them.

would you recommend developing the knowledge of a scripting language like python, over a language like c++, or would it be preferable to develop to skills to script within a package with something like MEL or MAXScript?

after looking at some of the courses other institutions offer they seem to be a mixed bag of 3d and programming languages like C++. as well as programming 3d (even 2d) graphics. what are other opinions on this? would it be preferable to focus on solving problems like cross-software solutions and tool development within a scripting language.

here’s a look at a possible course outline over a 3yr undergraduate program. the far right are optional modules that are available. please let me know if people feel they would like more information

Yes, I would definitely recommend time spent on learning a general tools-centric, portable language like Python.

Understanding a games-centric (and application proprietary) scripting language like MaxScript or UnrealScript is valuable, but those lose a lot of their value if those particular apps aren’t available.

I’m curious as to why there are 2 sections of modeling per year, but only one section during the whole course on rigging, a sub-section for animation, and a few sections for mocap. Rigging and mocap, ie Technical Animation and/or Character TD are full time jobs at many studios, some of the larger teams I’ve worked for even have both or multiple Character TDs and a TA. This looks more to me like a generic games production course with focus on modeling more than a Tech Art course. Just some thoughts.

DJ. I think that is kind of a default for schools now. I know the school I attended had the same kind of structure. Lots of focus on Animation and Modeling, but only 1 course for both rigging and scripting. Had a good time learning all I could on the side. :D:

While that may be the default or standard, it seems to me that if someone is getting the chance to build a course labeled “Technical Art” as the image seems to indicate, i would think you’d want it to focus on…i dunno…Technical Art? Was the course you took labeled Technical Art or was it just a Games Production type of curriculum?

The course I took was for general animation. So we had to cover a lot. But you could specialize in the different fields and even if you chose to specialize in the technical side of the industry you were still only given the two technical courses and even your final work (like preproduction on modular rigging) had to be done in a traditional form i.e drawings of what your rig would look like and ideas about how to build them, but never too technical. Probably didn’t want to go over the traditional artists’ heads.

Hiya, I’ll throw in my 2 cents - I agree with dgTomServo on this. If this is a course specifically for Technical Art it seems rather modeling heavy.

I don’t do much character rigging at this point - but for me if some of those modeling courses leaned more towards the - model this and rig it - they would go together well since modeling for good deformation and learning about where to apply the extra poly’s and where you can get away with not having as many without harming the overall look etc of the model. While its possible to teach this with straight modeling and theory - somehow seeing these things in action through the rigging processes really make the learning process easier I think.

[QUOTE=KritterSG;4585]
I don’t do much character rigging at this point - but for me if some of those modeling courses leaned more towards the - model this and rig it - they would go together well since modeling for good deformation and learning about where to apply the extra poly’s and where you can get away with not having as many without harming the overall look etc of the model. While its possible to teach this with straight modeling and theory - somehow seeing these things in action through the rigging processes really make the learning process easier I think.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i think this is definitely a great approach to take. Filter the modeling through Technical Art related tasks, ie modeling for good deformation, as kritter stated. In a Technical Art course I would think the big question you want to answer with each topic is “how does a technical artist fit into the process” or “how does the technical artist make this process more art and less technical for the end-user?”

Hi everybody i think this is my first post here…
I’ve worked on commercials as a Technical Director for the past 3 years so games aren’t really my cup of tea in the professional sense. But having discussed 3d with tech/3d artists in the games, advertising and film industries, i’ve noticed that many lack the understanding of the basics of 3d math, and are often dismayed by the fact. They’ve only encountered it via a package like max or maya, taught with little enthusiasm.
Since this is a tech artist course I would definetly recommend including a course on the math related to 3d: matrices, vectors and what not. Hell I would even make it mandatory for every non tech artist that uses any of the major 3d packages as well. Ive held workshops on some of these topics and from what i gathered they’ve been real eye openers for people!

Yes, very good point. At my school I have got the needed math for 3d graphics in my first year. introduction year … And that knowledge has always been handy for me.

Digging up this thread!

Dave emailed me directly about setting up his course and I thought I’d post my reply here. Let me know what you think.

I see two major challenges in the process of training technical artists as part of a university program:

The first challenge is related to the amount of information that technical artists need to know. Technical artists solve problems for artists and build tools that make artists’ jobs easier. They also perform art-related tasks that are too technical for most artists to understand. In order to do these things, a technical artists must first know all of the things that the regular artists know. They have to know how models are built, how UVs work, how textures and shaders work, how animation is done and character rigs are built, etc - all of the knowledge that a general 3D artist uses. On top of that, technical artists must also understand the process of creating tools. They need to learn programming, scripting, and shader languages, and how to use these to make art tasks easier. This is a LOT of information to cram into one program. Current technical artists in the industry usually start out as artists. They learn all of the art side of things in school and then get a few years of experience doing normal art tasks in the industry. At that point, they know the process well enough to begin seeing things that can be done to speed things up. That’s when they go out and learn scripting and programming on their own in order to make these things happen.

Having said that, there are some tech artists that I know that are new to the industry that did go through a specific program in school to learn to be technical artists - and they’re doing quite well - so perhaps the model is changing.

The second challenge I see is that there are lots of different kinds of technical artists and every video game company is looking for something slightly different when they say they’re hiring technical artists. Some companies are looking for someone to do all of the character rigging and skinning (these are often referred to as technical animators). Some companies are looking for someone to just write shaders. Other companies want someone who can write mesh exporters and be in charge of the art content pipeline. And some companies want someone that will create lots of plugins and tools. (And some companies want other things besides what I have described here.) Each of these different kinds of technical artist needs to know enough information that you could fill an entire degree program devoted specifically to each of them. The problem is that if you focus on only one of these areas, your students will be well prepared for that specific area - but the companies that are hiring might be looking for something else. And on the other hand, if you teach a little bit of all of them, your students might not know enough about the specific area that a company is looking for. You’ll need to find a ballance between too narrow a focus and too broad of a focus. One possible solution to this problem would be to have a one semester class where the tech art students get a small taste of all of the different types of work that tech artists do, and then allow them to choose a focus based on what they think they would be best at.

How important is shader writing for a technical artist? Do you feel that learning how to write shaders is as important as being able to control them using a package, say ShaderFX or the material editor in ut3?

Shader writing is one specific focus for a technical artist. It’s a very important part of the art process that most artists are not able to do. It’s very important that a project have artists that are capable of creating shaders. Not all technical artists will be interested in shader creation however, so this may be one of the courses that you create as optional. I’d recommend allow the art students to choose between a course in shaders and a course in rigging. As for your question about writing shaders vs controlling them - the main thing that a tech artist needs to understand are the fundamentals behind what’s going on in the shader. He needs to understand what a dot product does, how lighting works, what “normalize” means, how and why vectors need to be transformed to different spaces, etc. These are the fundamental principles behind shader creation. When the students understand the foundational principles and the math behind what’s going on, they’re be able to created shaders in whatever interface they have. The important thing to keep in mind is that HLSL, ShaderFX, UE3, etc are all just interfaces to creating shaders - different methods of going about it. If the student doesn’t first know the core principles, they won’t be able to use any of the interfaces. Now that I think about it a bit, I’d recommend teaching the students to write shaders in HLSL. That’s the most fundamental way to learn it and the most universally accepted skill. If a company is looking for a tech artist to create shaders in UE3, and they know that a candidate knows how to write them in HLSL, they’ll hire that candidate because the shader programming knowledge is easily transferable. On the other hand, if a company is looking for an artist to create shaders in HLSL and they know that the candidate only knows how to use the UE3 gui editor, they may pass on that candidate because he doesn’t have the required skill.

1.   Do you think this course meets the requirements to enable a graduating student to work as a Technical Artist?

There is something very important that I don’t see on your list of classes that all tech artists have to know. One of the main things that tech artists do is to identify areas in the work-flow and pipeline of regular artists that are borring, slow, broken, etc, make a plan for how to improve that work-flow or pipeline, carry out the plan, and then work with the artists to make sure that the solution is suitable - making revisions along the way while observing how the new tool or solution is being used by the artists. It is essential that your students learn this skill. Learning to create a rig, learning to write scripts in python, learning to create shaders - all of these skills are important - but if the students don’t know how to apply these skills to solving real problems, then they haven’t learned what they really need.

I recommend teaming up your tech art students with your normal students on group final projects. In the projects, have the art students create the art, and have the tech art students look for ways to improve the work-flow of the artists, help them get their work into the game engine, etc. This is how the real industry works and it would be the best experience for the students in my opinion.

1.   Do you feel that the course offers too much variation of content

Yes - although I don’t think you should drop any of it. As I said before, I think you should offer classes in shaders, scripting, rigging, etc - more than the students are able to fit into their program - and then allow them to choose which areas of focus they’d like to have. Perhaps their favorite 3 out of 4 or something like that.

1.   Are there any other subject areas you would consider vital for this role?

As I stated above, they need to learn how to work together with artists. The art team are the clients of the tech artists. Tech artists need to know how to make tools, but the tools need to fit a need and solve a specific problem that the artists have. They need to learn how to teach artists how to use a tool that they’ve created, take feedback on it, and then improve the tool based on artist feedback.

1.   Which of these programming/scripting languages do you consider vital for a Technical Artist to know? (MEL, MaxScipt, UScript, Pthyon, Lua, C++, HLSL)

All of these lanuages are good to know. The specific languages that a tech artist will need depend on the software that the company uses where they get hired - ie MaxScript vs MEL, etc. Some companies use a lot of Python. Others use more Lua, etc. I recommend that the students learn at least one 3d software specific scripting language (MaxScript or MEL) and one general purpose scripting language (python or lua). HLSL is kinda of in it’s own category because it’s only for shader writing. If the student descides to go down that path, then yes, they need to learn HLSL.

1 Like

I cannot agree more with honourable Ben in regarding to this matter. As matter of fact, he described the path I took to become what I am at the moment.

I would also strongly agree to teach students the core principles behind whatever the path one decide to take. For example, choosing which language is not as important as understanding the principles and understandings of programming / scripting. While I was at the university, I did not get to do programming based on any specific language but in my own language sort of like a pseudo code. So when I encounter any specific programming language, I was ready to learn and adapt fast.

I also agree that TA needs to know bits and bobs of most of the vast TA tasks in general. So I don’t mind student being taught in vast different subjects on TA, at least for the first or second year. But I also think it is important that one needs to find out what “interests” the most for them and quickly build focused skill around that interest.

I know it is sometimes not very ideal when you want to focus on writing shaders but the company you would like to work for is looking for a rigging TA. But I say, there are many other companies out there who will happily accept you as a shader TA, and rather than trying to develop rigging skill just to be recruited by company A, just go for the what you like. I mean you are just straight out of education, young and passionate! You still have some time! And who knows after working for a company B as a shader TA (maybe slightly worse condition), but once you are in the industry, your opportunity just become wider and better than ever before.

Having said that, I really like to see a course like in 3rd year, band of students form a team to actually make a game. A whole year working within team and fillin specific role of their choice.For this to be possible, insisitution needs to support the other kinds of roles like traditional game programmers or artists etc. But how cool will it be! Students will discover so much what it means to be in team and learns responsibility as well as issues they have never thought about.

I just wanted to add something to this. We use ShaderFx at our school to learn about shaders. And I found that this is a great visual way for artist to take the first steps towards shaders.