Game / Movie

What are the differences of being a TA for a game or a movie?

There aren’t that many really. The biggest differences are really the technology and software you get to work with and the specific limitations that come with them.

I believe this is true. I know some people who have crossed from one field to the other.

Hmm ok, nothing to worry about then :slight_smile:
Thanks for the replyes.

Well if you’re going to cross over I’d do it earlier in your career. Because no matter what your credentials are in games when you go to film you will take a pay cut!

What makes you say that? I had the exact opposite experience. During my three month stint as a previs artist on Superman Returns I made much more per hour than I did at any of the game developers I had worked at up to that point.

I’d say the main difference is the lack of a constant flow of work. It’s not uncommon in films to have nothing to do for a month or more at a time, and then work like crazy for six months or so. While in games, you’re more likely to be a permanent, full-time employee with a more regular work schedule.

It’s based on my experience and experience of other colleagues who went through the same transition. Any time you switch industries games/animation/vfx for the first time as a general rule of thumb you lack of experience in said field will count as a negative and thus you will probably incur a pay cut (assuming you were making the industry standard rate at you previous position) The higher you position is in games the more painful it will be.

As an an example if you are a Technical Art Director on a AAA title with a few years of experience and shipped titles as such behind your belt you could be pulling say 120k, if you try and go into VFX without any prior experience there you will most likely only get an Assistant TD gig to start and will drop as much as 40K. And this really doesn’t reflect on whether you are actually just as competent to do the job as any VFX veteran!

In fact I know quite a few people who are Art TDs (and other similar project lead positions) and are well sought after in the games field who while would like to give VFX/Animation a try simply can not afford to take the hit in salary.

Now of course there are exceptions but that’s been my general observation.

I agree with what you said, but I think we’re making different points. Going from any industry where you have a lot of experience to another where you don’t is going to result in a pay decrease, even if the job descriptions are fairly similar. What I’m saying though is that given the same level of experience, the film industry generally pays it’s members more than the games industry.

Yes, my point was specifically about making that initial cross over, hence why I suggested to get it out of the way earlier so that you are not saddled with it later once your career takes off. Given all equal circumstances both industries pay about the same all things considered.

And how about the work hours? I know it varies from studio to studio but maybe someone have noticed any side having more over time?

Hours are the same. However, the thing you got to keep in mind is if you have more projects you will have more overtime. Since in VFX you would usually go through a film every 8 month you will have more crunch times than working on games that cycle on average 3 years.
One thing I know though is ever since I left game production I’m being paid my overtime for the first time ever.