Chris Evans' tools

http://chrisevans3d.com/tutorials.htm

Came across this again today. Is Chris around here yet? He’s sharing some great-looking MXS, MEL, Python, etc., along with links to some good tech art presentations. Check out the blog and reference sections too.

I emailed him for the initial survey/questionnaire, and again after the site launched (no response). If anyone knows him better, please give him the heads up if he isn’t here yet (don’t think I’ve seen him).

I think Rob sent him an invite awhile back, but I don’t believe he’s registered yet.

I haven’t seen that before. Looks like a great resource, which reminds me of a new thread I was going to start…

He’s definitely got some great stuff on there; I really dig the first powerpoint. I didn’t know cryTools’ scripts were freely distributed, and it looks like there’s a lot of neat learning material in there based on the doc.

http://chrisevans3d.com/files/crytools_docs/AboutCryTools.html

Yea, he has a nice suite of tools available. I watched most of the videos and read through the documentation and the tools are fairly well documented. I have to say we do a fair amount of similar things here at our studio. We may approach them in a different manner but the result is the same. I do like the Snapshot tool they are using and I need to get more familiar with the Locator tool to get a better understanding of what it is actually doing. Thanks for the link!

I chatted with Chris briefly at GDC this year and he seemed to really want to push sharing knowledge within the industry. This is defintely a valid goal and seems to be something we are trying to do here. We’ll have to see if Chris joins us to get more insight from him. That being said thanks for pushing the site forward!

The Tech Art Techniques session that he was a part of was an interesting talk. It was also interesting that most of the talk was primarily animation or character TD in focus. The position of a “Technical artist or TD” seems as if it was at one time just character riggers but it has expanded from this to encompass most of all art disciplines as of lately. Its obviously a more generalized term at our studio as the tech artists here do many things but there are only a few of us that are specific to animation.

I emailed Chris about two weeks ago to see if he was planning on doing his industry panel again at GDC '09. He and I had talked about his panel and my roundtables at GDC '08 and agreed that we should work to get more TA related presentations going.

He hasn’t responded to my email yet, unfortunately.

[QUOTE=Jeff Hanna;691]He and I had talked about his panel and my roundtables at GDC '08 and agreed that we should work to get more TA related presentations going.
[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree, what kind of stuff do you think people would be interested in? One of our guys is doing the PanAsia Masterclass series for Autodesk and I’ve been trying to convince him to present his talk at GDC as well. It covers our inhouse procedural rigging system and our Maya asset management system. . .cool stuff?