Bi-Weekly Roundup

We’re starting a bi-weekly roundup of tech-art community happenings, including new Wiki articles, blog posts, and forum threads. If you’d like to submit something for the next roundup, please PM me.

[legend]Bi-Weekly Roundup[/legend]

[fieldset]Check out this week’s spotlight article: [w]XPTable (.NET)[/w]: ListView meets Java’s JTable. It explains how to install, set up, and use a custom C# plugin. The XPTable is useful for those who want more than .NET’s default [w]ListView[/w] can offer, and the article is good reading in general for those who are interested in using any custom control in Max.

Adam Pletcher has been adding lots of content to the Wiki about Python: Check out the [w]Portal:Python[/w] for more info and to see what he has been up to.

Eric Chadwick has overhauled the Wiki article on [w]normal map[/w]s, with material from the original Polycount page and more he’s scraped from these forums. There are also related pages having to do with [w]normal map compression[/w] and [w]dds[/w] compression types. Good reading for all levels of experience!
[legend]Wiki[/legend][/fieldset]

[fieldset]Jason Hayes has two good posts about using Python- Converting Hex Numbers to Floats (useful to get around inaccurate float precision) and Overloading Operators, a very useful feature of Python that coders used to languages such as C#, C++, Java, etc., are used to, but scripters may not. It is essential reading for anyone branching out into the world of Python.
[legend]Blog[/legend][/fieldset]

[fieldset]Adam Pletcher goes over the use and purpose of Perforce attributes, an undocumented feature of Perforce in his thread, here.

Tech artists share the lesser known and more minor (but important) aspects and tools of their workflow and day-to-day activities here.

Join in on the discussion about the sharing of tools between studios in this thread.
[legend]Forum[/legend][/fieldset]

[fieldset]Don’t forget: We are still running a contest for top site contributors. There will be details about how to send your entry in the next Bi-Weekly announcement, until then, keep contributing!
[legend]Other Announcements[/legend][/fieldset]

Since it’s just started and things are getting underway, i’d just like to extend my thanks and congratulations to the team who set this site up. It’s the most promising and professional forum i’ve been on in years!

Looking forward to sharing and learning.

Agreed. This forum has definitely pulled all of my attention and has certainly been a greatly motivating factor on getting my brain cooking with this stuff more.

dtak0lynexqek8i2qhrams2012seltzerjbmerxjzvhpld5