Entry-Level Rigging Jobs Don't Exist?

[QUOTE=MattRennie;19860]Hey Eugene,

One thing I always seem to say when people ask for reel critique, is I don’t just want to see the end result, I want to see HOW that end result was achieved. Your cartoon chipmunk-esque character has some nice face poses, but I want to see if it was done with morphs or bones etc. I’m always impressed when people get great deformations with the minimum number of bones/blends etc etc.[/QUOTE]

Great comment Matt. Do you think showing the face joints would do the trick?

FYI, all of the mouth shapes were sculpted so there was really just a jaw joint. I had to make correctives for all the mouth shapes when the jaw was open, and also when two mouth shapes are triggered at once. I had three joints for each eyelid to get a good range of eyelid shapes. Thanks! :D:

Hey Eugene!

If you do not mind taking tipps from a student to your demoreel; I always find it pretty neat when people show a short sigificant animaton for a few times in a reel. Each time separated in one of the following: final rendering, musclesystem, deformation and joints & controls. You can also split the screen to cut down the time of your reel and allow the viewer compare between each step. It is pretty common for FX reels but in my point of view it also works pretty well for rigging reels (it popped into my mind when I red Matts posting). Afterwards I would try to narrow down to the features of the rig you do not see in every reel.
I am sure that you put a lot of time and effort into your rigging thesis, but I asked myself why you did not add more stuff from your older reel? I guess we could argue about this, but I always like to see several characters with different difficulties and challenges in a reel. If I want to find out more about one or more specific characters I always enjoy visiting the persons website/blog or browse through his channel.

Hopefully this are good ideas :wink: It is just what I like to see in a reel as a student. I can not tell how professionals think about it… buuut I guess someone will reply to it :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=violett;19866]Hey Eugene!

If you do not mind taking tipps from a student to your demoreel; I always find it pretty neat when people show a short sigificant animaton for a few times in a reel. Each time separated in one of the following: final rendering, musclesystem, deformation and joints & controls. You can also split the screen to cut down the time of your reel and allow the viewer compare between each step. It is pretty common for FX reels but in my point of view it also works pretty well for rigging reels (it popped into my mind when I red Matts posting). Afterwards I would try to narrow down to the features of the rig you do not see in every reel.
I am sure that you put a lot of time and effort into your rigging thesis, but I asked myself why you did not add more stuff from your older reel? I guess we could argue about this, but I always like to see several characters with different difficulties and challenges in a reel. If I want to find out more about one or more specific characters I always enjoy visiting the persons website/blog or browse through his channel.

Hopefully this are good ideas :wink: It is just what I like to see in a reel as a student. I can not tell how professionals think about it… buuut I guess someone will reply to it :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Violett,

I don’t mind at all! Thanks for the comments. Those are great! I welcome all comments! I do like the idea of a rigging breakdown similar to VFX breakdowns. I’ll have to go back to the drawing board and think of a cool way to illustrate it.

I’d still like some tips for the reel I posted, even though I plan on redoing it entirely. I’m just not sure about what I should replace each piece with. I’ve been trying to write my own skinning plugin based off of various technical papers, but nothing’s come of it, and based on what people are saying it wouldn’t guarantee a job at anywhere I applied to anyway…