GDC 2016 Bootcamp - IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE CONSIDERED AS A SPEAKER POST YOUR TOPICS!

Hey everyone,

Instead of me, Steve Theodore, et al. racking our brains this year to come up with speakers for the TA Bootcamp I’d rather have community members post topic ideas if they would like to speak. Posting a topic idea is not a guarantee you will be a speaker. Also, if you don’t want to speak but still have a great topic idea please post it. We can probably find a TA who would be able to speak expertly on almost any topic.

I know I want to (will be) speaking about tool deployments and error tracking on a world-wide scale. Someone at the end of last year’s BC mentioned that he would like to speak on the same topic. I hope we can work together on it.

The submission window for GDC 2016 is open until Midnight (Pacific time) on August 27th. But, since Steve and I are on the planning board we have some latitude in planning the bootcamp. I’d still like to have a tentative slate of speakers by the end of September, at the latest.

We have been slowly adopting a pattern for GUIs inside Maya that deal with MObjectHandles. The MObjectHandle is wrapped into a custom QObject that manages a number of callbacks the automatically register/deregister with the GUI when they are added/removed.

We converted over a number of GUIs so far, and its working well. GUIs get cleared when the scene changes, GUI gets notified if the node is renamed outside it’s scope, or the node is deleted. It’s help a lot with ensuring GUIs don’t hold onto stale data.

Our framework is based on the chapter in Rob G’s book on separating the GUI from the code, and we are still learning a lot as we develop it further. I haven’t been to GDC for a couple of years, so I am not sure if this has already been discussed in past years.

I would like to give a talk on Photogrammetry and how to do it with a small budget. I was planning on submitting it to the main conference, but if you guys feel it should be in the Bootcamp I’m happy to do it there.

If anybody wants to do a ‘math 101 for TAs talk’ I’d think that’ could be very valuable

I would love to give a talk on Physical TechArt. It’s an emergent field that crosses the software boundary and moves into the physical world and it’s something I see really coming into the mainstream in the next couple of years.
Here is a short blog I put together on one part of the field Physical Technical Art and a write up I did from a larger talk on the topic Intel’s Perceptual Computing Camera

I also want to try something a little out there from normal talks and get the audience evolved as part of the feedback loop of the presentation (and I’m not talking just raising your hand). Hmmm… I would also love to run my hardware workshop as part of this, but that could be a little harder.

Can we do small sized workshops?

Is this something that people would be interested in hearing about / doing?

also if you have any more questions about what its all about, fire away.

~B)

Along the lines of Steve’s “Math 101” idea, I’ve always wanted to do a shader talk where I introduce some of the basic concepts (what is a dot product, what does the pow function do, etc) and then after explaining several of the foundational elements of shader writing, I’d use them together to create something cool looking. The goal would be to help beginners know where to start, see that learning shaders is simple and rewarding, and provide a spring board for further learning.

I was that “Someone”! I’m glad you remembered and I’d love to talk about fully deployable pipelines/tools. At High 5 we use remote deployment/configuration tools that control the states of all machines. We can take a machine out of a box, assign it a profile and without any other human intervention it’s in our pipeline. It makes our pipeline highly portable and easy to distribute, as well as change/evolve on the fly.

[QUOTE=Jeff Hanna;28425]Hey everyone,

Instead of me, Steve Theodore, et al. racking our brains this year to come up with speakers for the TA Bootcamp I’d rather have community members post topic ideas if they would like to speak. Posting a topic idea is not a guarantee you will be a speaker. Also, if you don’t want to speak but still have a great topic idea please post it. We can probably find a TA who would be able to speak expertly on almost any topic.

I know I want to (will be) speaking about tool deployments and error tracking on a world-wide scale. Someone at the end of last year’s BC mentioned that he would like to speak on the same topic. I hope we can work together on it.

The submission window for GDC 2016 is open until Midnight (Pacific time) on August 27th. But, since Steve and I are on the planning board we have some latitude in planning the bootcamp. I’d still like to have a tentative slate of speakers by the end of September, at the latest.[/QUOTE]

I’m actually writing a proposal that I’m planning to submit to the main conference, but I’ll post it here also because I’m not sure where it fits best to be honest.

I’ll just paste the session description from my proposal, because there doesn’t seem much point typing the same thing out twice

Building a procedural texturing pipeline for Halo Wars 2

Traditional methods for texture creation can be time-consuming, are typically based on destructive workflows, rely heavily on individual artists to maintain consistency of art quality/style and are slow to iterate across large numbers of textures. Newer approaches to texture creation (such as ours using Substance Designer as the core of our pipeline) can avoid many of these problems.

This talk will describe how a ~30-40 person AAA art department moved over from a traditional texturing approach to creating textures using a completely procedural pipeline for the majority of texture content for our current project (Halo Wars 2). We will describe in depth our methodology and approach to the entire process :
 Creating base material swatches which propogate core values all the way through a hierarchal chain into the final textures allowing rapid iteration across large numbers of assets
 How our source content is segregated and inherited in a hierarchal manner, allowing changes to propogate across large amounts of game content.
 How we create parametrically editable materials which enable large amounts of variation for little time cost

We will also cover the capabilities of our production toolset to enable rapid texture generation (in some cases taking just minutes to create a texture set for a production asset), rapid iteration and content management. We will describe how our toolset works alongside Substance Designer, what the advantages are of these capabilities and finally details of their implementation.

To close, we will present a summary of our thoughts on the benefits and disadvantages of using a completely procedural approach to texture creation.

I would be very interested and I am quite sure more studios will be in that situation soon. So having a talk to refer to might be very good :slight_smile:

marks,

Please submit that via the main conference (www.gdconf.com) submission form. That doesnt’t preclude it from being in the bootcamp, as Steve and I can make those changes. It will get it into the system before the deadline tomorrow (midnight pacific time). Right now that’s the most important thing, since I didn’t see it before now.

Hey Jeff, yeah I’ve submitted it via the GDC site now.

[QUOTE=Butters;28450]I would love to give a talk on Physical TechArt. It’s an emergent field that crosses the software boundary and moves into the physical world and it’s something I see really coming into the mainstream in the next couple of years.
Here is a short blog I put together on one part of the field Physical Technical Art and a write up I did from a larger talk on the topic Intel’s Perceptual Computing Camera

I also want to try something a little out there from normal talks and get the audience evolved as part of the feedback loop of the presentation (and I’m not talking just raising your hand). Hmmm… I would also love to run my hardware workshop as part of this, but that could be a little harder.

Can we do small sized workshops?

Is this something that people would be interested in hearing about / doing?

also if you have any more questions about what its all about, fire away.

~B)[/QUOTE]

I’d like to hear more of your plans (needs), around Intel’s camera for GDC.
Are you using the latest RealSense tech?
Please feel free to contact me directly.

I was wondering if someone could ablution some advanced facial muscle rigging systems. It would be interesting to hear about this as muscular facial systems is a somewhat taboo

Just out of curiosity. When are the talks for this being posted?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.