Introductions

Hi,

I’m Christoph, a polycounter and PhD student on medical visualizations (volume/voxel stuff) at the University of Madgeburg. Before getting into coding with university, I was doing 3d art (before the normalmap baking stuff became mainstream) mostly quake3 mod work and a little freelancing (also freelanced for 3dsmax related issues lately). Early in studies I got into 3d engine programming, the outcome is a Lua scriptable engine, http://www.luxinia.de which is my ongoing learning experience in coding and also the base framework for my research work. It’s fairly compact and robust and was/is used in clinical studies, although the website doesnt hint to the scientific useage :wink:

http://www-e.uni-magdeburg.de/kubisch/colon-xvid.avi
http://crazybutcher.planetquake.gamespy.com/wip/vesselvis/preint.jpg

Despite the “serious” application of 3d graphics, I still have high interest in the games/art side and help friends at http://www.3pointstudios.com in technical manner. I’m more coder (C,C++,Lua,MXS) than artist nowadays and like keeping an eye on different techniques in realtime rendering and experimenting with some. I’ve put a rough overview on techniques (some stuff like light-pre-pass is missing) in multiple readings for university last winter http://www-e.uni-magdeburg.de/kubisch/Whats_cool_in_game_graphics_eng.pdf (not entirely self-explanatory as whiteboard was used extensively)

That’s it. See you around

Hi!

My name is Rasmus and I’m currently a student in one of the game developer schools here in Sweden. Until last summer I wasn’t really sure of what I wanted to specialize in. I did love animating but I wasn’t really sure I wanted to do it on a regular basis. The last school projects I’ve kinda been the guy in charge of the whole exporting process and when I really got bored doing it the old way I decided to learn Mel. While I was writing a couple of scripts to help me export and rig stuff I noticed this site and the profession Technical Artist! Definitely fell in love with it all. I’ve already created tools so the artists can export static meshes the way I want it. At the moment I’m working with a couple of tools like an animation pipeline and an automated rigging tool. I really got inspired by David’s presentation on procedural rigging so that’s what I’m trying to achieve. I can also do some HLSL but atm I’m focusing more on the scripting part.

Btw this is the game me and some other students are working on when we have the time: http://bloodlinechampions.com/

Awesome site, although I haven’t posted anything yet I think I’ve read it all! See ya!

nate walpole : motion zealot

some of you might know me from the cgtalk forums, as moderator, bentllama. I am a veteran animator and in the past have applied my animation and technical art talents to Halo 2 and Halo 3 at Bungie studios. currently, you can find me creating motion and believable characters at Microsoft Game Studios as part of their burgeoning Halo team.

i am quite opinionated and do some things old school, given my traditional animation background - but I do appreciate the latest advances and thought progression surrounding technical art - just as long as I get beautiful results without too much of a body count. :slight_smile:

i have been lurking on this forum for awhile. it is refreshing to see brilliant solutions and artistic creativity shine through the tech.

Hi, My name is Igor.

I Live in Florianópolis - Brazil and work for a startup studio (Hoplon), in which we are developing a MMO, i hold the position of a Lead TA.
I used to be a 3D Artist but for being new to the industry lead us (Hoplon) to not develop good art tools. For the reasons i dont need to say , someone had to develop some skills on that and that was me. Must say im pretty excite about it.

Being developing tools for more then a year now and learned some C# + Maxscript, im pretty fresh to all this. I meet this forum in GDC from TA roundtable. I hope i can help in someway here as much as this forum already is helping me.

Hello, my name is Peter Stråhle. Working at GRIN in Stockholm. I’ve just changed my title to Technical Artist from 3D Artist. My biggest challenge right now is to learn a great deal of scripting, Python and some MEL trying to catch up with my coworkers that already had those skills before becoming a TA. Since I started as an artist I need to sharpen my tech-skills but hopefully my artist-experience will help the team create better tools and get input from an art-driven person.

Hello everyone,

I’m Henrique, most people who know me call me iko, and I’m a Technical Artist for Ubisoft Brazil, the part of it formerly known as Southlogic Studios.

I’ve been neglecting the forums for too long, and after meeting Rob and everyone else who attended this year’s GDC TA Roundtables, I am finally poking my head around here and saying some sort of hello.

Also, expect my other technical artist fellows from Ubisoft Brazil around here shortly! :slight_smile:

~iko

Hey everyone,

My name is Brian Mumm I have been programming for last 4 years and now have moved into Technical Art. :D:

I work at Camber as a Technical Artist working on Serious Games.

Cheers!

Hi Mumm,

Although it’s not my place (I believe it is the forum leader’s job) - Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Serious Games is certainly an area a lot of companies do not persue, but I’ve certainly found it rewarding working on the TruSim team at my company. Trust me, when you’ve spent a long time assessing the nuances of what makes a face young, old, fat, thin, then replicating it in models and systems; you really begin to wonder why a lot of games characters look so generic and cliched :slight_smile:

You may want to check out Sato Takahashi’s work on Serious Games if you haven’t already: www.satoworks.com - not bad for the guy behind all the character work on Silent Hill :wink:

I’d be very interested to discuss any insights on how you or your team achieve a sense of realism through either script or other systems - NDA withstanding of course!

-WHW

[QUOTE=whw;3496]Hi Mumm,

Although it’s not my place (I believe it is the forum leader’s job) - Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Serious Games is certainly an area a lot of companies do not persue, but I’ve certainly found it rewarding working on the TruSim team at my company. Trust me, when you’ve spent a long time assessing the nuances of what makes a face young, old, fat, thin, then replicating it in models and systems; you really begin to wonder why a lot of games characters look so generic and cliched :slight_smile:

You may want to check out Sato Takahashi’s work on Serious Games if you haven’t already: www.satoworks.com - not bad for the guy behind all the character work on Silent Hill :wink:

I’d be very interested to discuss any insights on how you or your team achieve a sense of realism through either script or other systems - NDA withstanding of course!

-WHW[/QUOTE]

Hi WHW,

Yes I can tell you a little about some of stuff we do just let me know some of your questions and if its behind NDA I will let you know. Maybe pm me don’t want to spam the intro thread. Sato has some amazing work I was not aware he was at Virtual Heroes thanks letting me know.

[QUOTE=whw;3496]Hi Mumm,

Although it’s not my place (I believe it is the forum leader’s job) - Welcome to the forum :)[/quote]
When I interviewed at BioWare, I was supposed to have a session with the studio heads. I sat in the interview room alone for a half hour until Ben found and rescued me.

Feel free to start up a thread in General Talk, Serious Games is quite an interesting topic.

Hello!

I’m currently a freelance digital artist working as an environment modeler on a new MMO under development over at Forever Interactive.

This is my first in-industry experience and I’m greatly looking forward to the opportunity and experience!

I invite you to check out some of my prior projects on my portfolio site.

Thanks!

:Neil Schnepf

Hi All,
I am Akram, currently working as a Technical artist and level modeler/editor in India. The first game which i worked on, Ghajini, has come out.

Thanks,
Akira

hi all,
I am Anoop.A.K, currently working as character TD in an indian production house.My role here include the development and upkeep of character rigs and also development of tools for streamlining the character pipeline.

Hi!
My name is Felipe and I work as Technical Artist intern at Ubisoft Brazil
My colleague, Henrique (Iko), told me about this forum and now here I am :slight_smile:

Im looking foward to learn and share experiences from you guys.

Hi, I’m Joseph. I currently work at Stanford University, unrelated to what I want to do as a career which is to be a TD and will be unemployed at the end of this month. I’m hoping to learn and improve upon my current skills and hopefully contribute my own knowledge to this forum.

Hey all – I’m a TA at EA. Mostly on the environment side, although I generally get my hands dirty with a little bit of everything.

I try to keep it real with the Art side though, sneaking in any real “art” whenever I can.

Great site – can’t believe I just found out about it the other day.

Hi everyone,
I have been a lurker for quite some time and thought I finally introduce myself.
I am currently a senior env. artist at Eidos Montreal, working on pushing Deus Ex 3 out the door :p:

Through the years I have been increasingly interested with everything pipeline and tools related, maybe I’ll make the jump to tech art sometime.
For now, I am teaching myself some mel before trying to move to more interesting stuff.

thanks

Hey my name is Carlo Cherisier, I’m a character rigger, I also know how to script in python, and enjoy animating. I’m currently going to Full Sail University but only have few months till I graduate.

[QUOTE=ZEN?;3139]Hi fellas (I think I’m right in saying that by page 18 we’re still all fellas?).

I’m Iain McFadzen, lead character artist at Sony Liverpool.

There sure are a lot of familiar names here, I feel right at home already.[/QUOTE]

Meeep meep

Oh oh! I fail! I’ve stalked! I’ve lurked! (Though - eek! It’s been a while - again fail) However, I’ve not posted - but I’m not a fella!

Although - >.< Syreian isn’t a fella and she didn’t fail at posting. Yay! Go Rachel!

Anyhow, I met a fair few of you at GDC last year :slight_smile: - but for those who I haven’t met - I’m Kritter - Technical Artist at Blizzard in Ca.

I use to train horses - so I talk about ponies a lot :). I think that sums me up in a nutshell!

Thanks again for the lovely site! :D:

My name is Shawn McClelland and I am a product designer on the Maya team working in Toronto Canada. I see quite a few familiar faces here on the forums and figured I’d sign up and be more active rather than just looking on from the sidelines :):