Maya Charm - Maya PyCharm connection

got any more Info, Operating System and exact PyCharm version, if you are using Pro when you Add a run configuration there should be options for but the Runner and the Debugger.

Windows 8.1 x64
PyCharm 2017.1 Professional (2017.1.3)

Iā€™m gonna have a look at my setup @ work tomorrow where I got everything working. I believe I have the same version there, but the OS is Windows 10 Pro. Itā€™s probably just some silly thing.

Ok so I checked with my setup at work and these are the differences I found:
Under package settings for the project interpreter, the only listed packages are pip and setuptools - at work I also have some git-packages, smmap2 and pycharm (version: debug). I did a manual search and that pycharm package didnā€™t show up.

Under the Python interpreter settings, I had forgotten to add the pycharm-debug.egg. However doing so did not result in any change. Other than the debug-egg, the setups are identical.

I also tried switching to another interpreter (in case that has anything to do with this - I guess not) from the Maya 2019 one (Autodesk beta program) to the Maya 2017 mayapy.exe - but the pycharm package does still not appear.

The only available debugging is the ordinary ā€œPython Remote Debugā€ - and there is also several debug packages listed under the package settings (example: django-pycharm-debug-middleware).

Did you find a solution to this?
I am experiencing the same thing. Thereā€™s no MayaCharm Debugger in the configuration list.
(Professional Edition Trial)

Any help would be great. Thanks!

I would assume you are using the 2018.3 EAP of PyCharm, that version changes how debuggers work a little and breaks support for my Plug-in. I will have to find time in the near future to fix that issue.

Have confirmed on my end that it is changes introduced in the 2018.3 EAP that are breaking things, so i am going to look at fixing that when i have time over the next week.

Good news: I can rewrite part of it to work with some of the new features and remove the requirement for the pro version only remote debugger.

Bad news: I have very little free time to do the rewrite so i might take a while, in the meantime i should still work with any pro version that is <= 2018.2

3 Likes

Wondering if you ever updated the plugin to allow debugging in PyCharm CE?

Do you need the professional version of PyCharm to get the MayaLog feature to work?
If not whatā€™s the secret to get it working? :slight_smile:
Iā€™ve got the connection working to execture code as far as I can tell.

Thanks

From the Run menu select Connect to Maya's Log
this feature can be a little unstable that times, but hitting that menu item should make PyCharm tell maya to start logging to file so it can be displayed in the IDE

That seemed to do it!
Thanks passerby.

Seems the latest pycharm no longer work with mayacharm3.1.2.
Any plan to publish a new release?
Much appreciated! :kissing_heart:

I have not had time to maintain it, and i donā€™t use Maya at all for work anymore. Am hoping to get a update just to get it working in modern PyCharm versions again in the near future but i wont commit on a date for when that will be done.

There is some more information on the github for the project if you want to track the progress of that.

1 Like

Hey passerby,
Is breakpoint and step through code done through Maya comport as well?
I went to vim a while back, been using comport but only sending code for now.

previous version did some code injection for debugging but that is broken now, so yeah once its fixed it will be using the command port to setup stuff on the maya side for debugging and attaching to the debug server

1 Like

Cool Iā€™ll have a look at the git repo for what commands to send, ty!!

Well what are you trying to do exactly, simply sending commands to Maya should be easy from any language. But if you are trying to get full debugging going in Vim that is a much larger tasks then just sending the correct commands.

For now Iā€™m fine with just sending code from *Neovim, I got that working via comport and using Vimya, out of the box, so Iā€™m good. :slight_smile:

I was just curious how you did it, and in general how breakpoints and ā€œstep through your codeā€ works under the hood, but really, I doubt I would have to do much myself I think if/when I really do need a debugger.

This looked appealing, seems light weight and just gdb. settrace(). The thing about neovim is thatā€¦ Lua Jit is kind of addicting. :slight_smile:

I like being able to do things myself because more often than not either pycharm changes / plugins change. Like before I was juggling pycharm, vscode, visual studio because I relied on plugins for Fusion 360, Maya, Houdini Vex.

Then earlier this year I forced myself to do it all from a single editor / commandline haha. (I know its very vim junkie neck beard of me). It was harder at first but its so much more freeing.

Oftens it seems like the vscode/pycharm plugin is more complicated than what it integrates.

What languages / tools are you using now?

So PyCharm for debugging uses its own modified version of PyDevD, and I just hook into that.
On the Maya side I am just doing a few commands to add some extra locations for my scripts and the PyDevD that ships with PyCharm onto the python path, then invoking this script.

Yeah pretty familiar with Vim and Neovim, i tend to use nvim for smaller things, then move to a ide and the ideavim plugin for working on larger things. Though these days I do less and less work in DCC apps and more in game engines like Unity and some in house ones. So mostly C++ and C# these days.

2 Likes

This is actually pretty interesting, if I try nvim.dap with lua, the attached to process function seems pretty similar. Much thanks.

if you look at my repo, there are examples of sending a command to Maya in both Kotlin and Python, should be able to do that from any language you want. Its just a socket connection, you can even just use telnet to directly send Maya stuff over a terminal.

1 Like