Passing light data to shader

Hey all,

I am trying to write a scripted material with maxscript. But I am having problems with passing the light position to the shader.

In the shader itself the position is a float4.

I tried to do it this way

on ddl_Light1Pos selected item do
 	(
 		local temp = getNodeByName ddl_Light2Pos.selected
 		delegate.light1_Position = temp.position
 	)

I then get the error that it has to be of a value of integer. How can that possibly be if the variable in the shader is a float4

I already tried a lot of other stuff but I am not getting some good results. I researched the information on the wiki but I am not finding the way how the position of the light is passed.

Is there a specific way to do this?

Greetings

Nysuatro

Gah I remember this problem, but I don’t remember what we had to end up doing… if you don’t get a response by Monday I’ll ping one of the guys who maintain our shader system (I helped implement the core of it but am out of practice).

Thanks for the help Rob Galanakis. I appreciate it

My solution is not used scripted shaders, made life so much easyer dropping them :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it is realvant but I know the lights are considered as intergers in directx materials in terms of which light you are choosing. So 0 (or 1 can’t remember) is the first light in the scene. I think, to be honest I need my glasses to read exactly what the problem is :slight_smile:

Yes, I tried it with just integers. But the results is not the same as with the default UI of the shader…

How does it work then? You send a integer that represents the element in the array Lights. And the shader declares the position and light color automatically?

I am now using the array Lights to put the names of the lights in the item property of the dropdownlist for the light position. I am just not sure I am doing it the right way.

I was hoping someone could tell me the way it can/has be done.

Owkay. Lightproblem is solved. It has something to do with my countlights that was not resetting …

Well anyway. I got an other question. In the shader there is a mapchannel in the texture variable for like Diffuse Map.
I got a UI element 'spinner ’ in maxscript for that channel. But how can I pas the value of the spinner to the map channel ? I already used the identifier for the texture to pass the bitmap …