[PhotoshopExtension] Distributing unsigned extension

Whats simplest way of distributing and auto-updating Photoshop extensions in Photoshop CC 2014?

I created extension, if I run photoshop with devel registry value it works, but when I directly copy com.XXX.XXX folder to other users AppData it doesn’t load as its unsigned.
Is it easier to distribute .zxp? I had problem that Extension Manager plugin needs older photoshop, even if I tweeked manifest file.

How do you work with that?

you can disable the check in the registry

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/creativesuite/articles/a-short-guide-to-HTML5-extensions.html

About half way down under “Running the Extension” it tells you what to set

It runs extension on my machine as I said, because I added that registry value like you linked.
Issue is how to make it work on other machines, where I don’t want to go around and changing this value.

I managed to sign package, but you must use Extension Manager to install it on machines. I don’t like that, because that makes autoupdating hard aswell.
How do others autoupdate their Photoshop stuff?

i see what you’re saying. I actually added the registry thing as part of our tools rollout, path of least resistance :slight_smile:

Ok, I’ll do the same probably, thanks!

@TheMaxx did you ever find a reliable method to run python code from a photoshop extension?
I ended up shelving my extension research, too many languages to bridge and support.

nope, i didn’t really expect that to be a thing. I was fine with js and node; when in rome…

You can run “python” in an extension by embedding Brython, which is a decent python interpreter running inside of javascript. however it’s no magic fix: “real” JS extensions themselves still have to communicate with JSX remotely anyway, so as TheMaxx points out it’s just another language in the mix. Photoshop extensibility should be taught in college as HOW NOT TO DO IT 101

As part of the artist setup, I have an auto-install.jsx that has the following functions to enable 3rd-party extensions… scary that it requires no admin privs to run this from photoshop but… YOLO guess.

// this sets the flag to allow unsigned photoshop extensions
function osx_unsigned_plugin() {
    app.system("defaults write com.adobe.CSXS.6 PlayerDebugMode 1")
    app.system("defaults write com.adobe.CSXS.7 PlayerDebugMode 1")
}

function win_unsigned_plugin() {
    app.system("reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Adobe\\CSXS.6  /t \"REG_SZ\"  /v PlayerDebugMode /d 1  /f")
    app.system("reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Adobe\\CSXS.7  /t \"REG_SZ\"  /v PlayerDebugMode /d 1  /f")
}