Award-winning video game studio Variable State is looking for a contract technical artist to work remotely on a new, unannounced project.
The start date is flexible and the role will last for 12 months.
Applicants should ideally be based in the UK or Ireland.
* Working with our art director on look and style
* Helping arrive at a distinct and captivating look which distinguishes the game aesthetically and is appropriate to the game’s mood and tone
* Implement materials, lighting and VFX in a way which enhances and marries together the environment art, characters and animation
* Profiling performance in Unity across all platforms to ensure a consistent, satisfying game experience with reliable frame rate, diagnosing and remedying performance issues and leading the optimisation effort
* Maintaining an up to date knowledge of modern rendering techniques and approaches and how to make use of them in the Unity engine
* Identifying best practice and efficient workflows in Unity
* Liaising between the programming and artist disciplines
You must be able to:
* Light scenes appropriately, both beautifully and efficiently
* Produce and implement visual effects and particles
* Implement post-processing, identify creative rendering solutions
* Create materials, write and optimise shaders
* Profile and optimise performance across a range of platforms
* Work confidently in Unity
* Participate in web-based company chat and video conference
* Work remotely, using your own hardware and software
* Be available for normal business hours in UK time / GMT+0
* Deliver work via Perforce
* Work independently with confidence, own your tasks and deliver to quality and to deadline, while providing your own embellishments
* Completed and shipped at least one full-cycle (start to end) 3D console game project, with recent and relevant experience with console development
* Shipped a Unity engine console game
* Have a knowledge and interest of cinematography
* Technical animation experience
Particular preference will be given to applicants with previous experience in studio game development.
We welcome applications from everyone irrespective of age, gender and ethnicity, but as women, LGBTQs and members of ethnic minorities are under-represented in game development, we would encourage applications from members of these groups.
Our ideal collaborator is someone who is thoughtful and conscientious in their approach to work and patient in their dealings with others. We like people who are open and communicative about what they do, who like learning and sharing knowledge and enjoy educating team members about their field of expertise.
If you’re interested please drop us a line with your CV to email@example.com.