Introductions

Hello everyone,

My Name is Dragos Stanculescu , I’m currently Technical Art Director at FUN labs Romania.

We (as a company) have been working with Activision over the last 11 years developing 30+ published cross-platfrom cross-gen titles on PS2, Xbox, GameCube, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, PSP using our in-house engine and toolset.

I have started as a concept/texture artist then my focus changed to real-time particle effects, real-time shaders, lighting, real time rendering optimisations, as well as constantly analysing workflows and toolchain for improving content creation pipelines, communication with the designers (whenever I am not “coerced” to deal with more generic project management or game design issues :wink: ).

Hello new members! Welcome.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Chris Lesage and I’m the character TD in the VFX department of Frima in Quebec and previously for small to mid-sized production houses in television and film. I started out as an animator long ago and over the years got pulled deeper and deeper into rigging.

Now I create animation and rigging tools in Maya and XSI. I also like prototyping casual games and making electronic music on the side.

Cheers!

Hello,

My name is Greg and I am a Angry Marsh mellow … ok well not really cause well they aren’t even able to see or type. So I am a IT geek attoo artist who is in school to transition into Game Art.

I hope to find good information, resources and to share as well here …
(Suddenly see shiny object and runs away leaving post unfinished)

Hello all,

I am Christophe Marchal, a Technical Artist for Tencent Boston in Concord, MA. My quick background: I was in the television/advertising industry as a character animator for 5 years. Since then, I have been in the games industry for 4 years as an animator and tech artist. My current focus at Tencent is handling the rigging pipeline for environments/monsters/characters and asset integration.

My goal in the coming months & years is to ramp up my MaxScript knowledge in order to better myself and better assist my peers as a Technical Artist/Animator.

Cheers!

Christophe

[QUOTE=CMarchal;12024]Hello all,

I am Christophe Marchal, a Technical Artist for Tencent Boston in Concord, MA. My quick background: I was in the television/advertising industry as a character animator for 5 years. Since then, I have been in the games industry for 4 years as an animator and tech artist. My current focus at Tencent is handling the rigging pipeline for environments/monsters/characters and asset integration.

My goal in the coming months & years is to ramp up my MaxScript knowledge in order to better myself and assist my peers as a Technical Artist/Animator.

Cheers!

Christophe[/QUOTE]

Very nice to meet you and welcome! I cannot wait to leave IT and move into the artist life. I have been a tattoo artist for a couple years now and decided to combine my IT and art skills together to make my world solid for my own true happiness!

Hi! I’m Emre from Turkey. I’ve been modding games since Quake 3 as a hobbyst, I’m trying to turn it into a profession nowadays. I’m working on a semi-functioning pc now, I had to oven the mobo and the graphics card(couldn’t save this one) due to lead-free solder failure. Expect to see more stuff from me when I get a new computer :slight_smile:

Hello all

Everyone calls me Shiny. I’m on my end of university. Mainly focusing on rigging and level design.

Not sure what else to say other than does anyone know good places to get low poly models to practice with? I don’t model (well don’t model well) so it becomes a bit of a pain :sigh:

Hello,

I’m not a technical artist, nor am I a student in a university. I’m a college dropout working in a grocery store. I do, however, like to learn and explore. I’ve spent the past few years exploring the US as a homeless vagrant. I’ve only recently settled into a stable job & living situation, so now I’m in the process of figuring out what I want to do based on my skills and interests (grocery store is not a good fit).

At my last school I tried to create my own major in psychology & art. No one wanted to sign off on it, so I then majored in cognitive science and took courses in math, programming, philosophy, psychology, linguistics, and anthropology until I ran out of money and had to leave. I was also an art major for one semester.

I’m currently enrolled in online courses at a community college in order to transfer to SF State, but I’m not satisfied with my courses and have doubts about whether or not a degree is worth my time. What’s more gratifying is learning on my own. I’ve been relearning math, physics, and programming via MIT OCW. Not only do I learn what I want at my own pace (usually faster than in-school pace), but I seem to be retaining more of it. Still, a degree has it’s uses, not the least of which is collecting pell grant money as you pursue it, or emigrating to another country.

So, I’m basically here to soak up all the information available and to see if it’s a good fit for me. One pressing need at the moment is to find a low-level job in the industry, so that all the information I soak up on-the-job is relevant to my career aspirations. I tend to learn a lot and get very involved in things, regardless of whether or not it was my original intention. My current job has led me to becoming very knowledgeable and obsessive about food… Not sure if this is good or bad.

I’ve been told that QA testing might be a place to start. If anyone knows of any specific places to look or specific opportunities in the Bay Area, then please share.

Welcome Salwan, Justin, Shiny, Emre, Christopher, Greg, and Chris!

[QUOTE=flaneur;12264]Hello,

I’m not a technical artist, nor am I a student in a university. I’m a college dropout working in a grocery store. I do, however, like to learn and explore. I’ve spent the past few years exploring the US as a homeless vagrant. I’ve only recently settled into a stable job & living situation, so now I’m in the process of figuring out what I want to do based on my skills and interests (grocery store is not a good fit).

At my last school I tried to create my own major in psychology & art. No one wanted to sign off on it, so I then majored in cognitive science and took courses in math, programming, philosophy, psychology, linguistics, and anthropology until I ran out of money and had to leave. I was also an art major for one semester.

I’m currently enrolled in online courses at a community college in order to transfer to SF State, but I’m not satisfied with my courses and have doubts about whether or not a degree is worth my time. What’s more gratifying is learning on my own. I’ve been relearning math, physics, and programming via MIT OCW. Not only do I learn what I want at my own pace (usually faster than in-school pace), but I seem to be retaining more of it. Still, a degree has it’s uses, not the least of which is collecting pell grant money as you pursue it, or emigrating to another country.

So, I’m basically here to soak up all the information available and to see if it’s a good fit for me. One pressing need at the moment is to find a low-level job in the industry, so that all the information I soak up on-the-job is relevant to my career aspirations. I tend to learn a lot and get very involved in things, regardless of whether or not it was my original intention. My current job has led me to becoming very knowledgeable and obsessive about food… Not sure if this is good or bad.

I’ve been told that QA testing might be a place to start. If anyone knows of any specific places to look or specific opportunities in the Bay Area, then please share.[/QUOTE]
there’s a lot of info out there for getting a start in the industry. my personal opinion would be that using qa as a launchpad in the industry is a crapshoot. some places consider qa as disposable and you will rarely interact with devs (which is how you would get your foot in the door). i think the qa to dev transition days are mostly numbered. it is also related to what your desired position is. transitioning from qa to concept artist is unlikely, but transitioning from qa to producer or designer seems more feasible (most of the people i know who have come from qa do one of those things).

Are there any sources that are far and away better than others?

Greets all! Matt Oztalay, just started at Vigil as an environment artist, but I’ve been finding myself putting on a Tech Art hat every now and again.

:D:yah… its nice to meet new friends and share ideas …Table Cover

My name is Oskar Holmstrand and I’m Technical Animator at Avalanche Studios, Sweden. Luiz K told me that I should hang out here so here goes!

I’d say I’m swedish and modest. Others would say I’m great at MoBu. Hopefully this can be a platform for me to both learn and give advice. I also use Maya quite proficiently, but it is not my main tool at the moment so I get more and more rusty…

I’ve been active in computer-graphics since '94 or so. If any old demosceners is around I’m a member of iCE. Worked with AAA games for a bit more than 4 years . Before that was on some visualization engines and lower-profile stuff, and took a uni - degree in computer graphics.

Cool Oskar, I used to track mods, but long after the hey-day of the demoscene (I started around 1998).

Was iCE the same group that was doing collaborative quilt-painting at tiles.ice.org? (the url might be wrong.) I used to paint a few tiles.

[QUOTE=clesage;12488]Cool Oskar, I used to track mods, but long after the hey-day of the demoscene (I started around 1998).

Was iCE the same group that was doing collaborative quilt-painting at tiles.ice.org? (the url might be wrong.) I used to paint a few tiles.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was the same group and the url is (or rather was) correct!

I was very active in quilting! Too bad it’s all gone offline now =( … Darn server upgrade from hell that managed to destroy the code.

Hi everyone. Im Sean. I am a Student at a community college and my goal is to get into game development. Nice to meet all of you :smiley:

hello, to all tech-artists out there!

Brief introduction of myself:
I currently work as Character TD and Animator at DAYWALKER Studios (Cologne, Germany). Actually I started with animation 7 years ago. However, in the last years it seems like I am constantly drifting more and more towards all that rigging and scripting work.
So, here I am at tech-artists. Looking foward to share knowledge!

Hello All!

My name is Thomas Trently and I’m currently a student at Ringling College studying Game Art but hope to be a TA one day. I look forward to learning from everyone and contributing when I can.

Cheers!