Maya Charm - Maya PyCharm connection

Hi passerby, and thank so much for this great plugin!

I’ve managed to install it to Pycharm 4.0.6 Comunity. Send document and selection to maya works good, but I can not find a way to make the maya_log work. I can see the window in PyCharm but is always empty, no matter what. Executing the command ‘Connect PyCharm to mayas log’ doesn’t seem to anything at all and nothing shows up on PyCharm Event Log too.

Do you have any ideas to try to solve this?

Fantastic stuff! Used to have both SLT and PyCharm open at the same time, now I can run test scripts within PyCharm as well.

Thanks again for the release!

hmm intersting, can you go to your equilveant of this path “C:\Users\Chris.PyCharm40\system\plugins” and tell me if you got a mayaLog.txt file, after running the connecto maya command, and doing a few thigns in maya that would print to log?

[QUOTE=TaU;27346]Hi passerby, and thank so much for this great plugin!

I’ve managed to install it to Pycharm 4.0.6 Comunity. Send document and selection to maya works good, but I can not find a way to make the maya_log work. I can see the window in PyCharm but is always empty, no matter what. Executing the command ‘Connect PyCharm to mayas log’ doesn’t seem to anything at all and nothing shows up on PyCharm Event Log too.

Do you have any ideas to try to solve this?[/QUOTE]

Hi again,

After the execution of the ‘connect to maya’ command and sending code to maya, I get response on maya’s console but nothing on PyCharm. I’ve got the file ‘mayaLog.txt’ but is empty ( 0 bytes ). :-/
(btw: on that path there is also another one named ‘action.script’ ( 58 bytes ))

Could it be the different PyCharm version (mine is 4.0.6) ?

I will have to look into it next week, I’m on 4.0.6 as well and the only odd thing that happend to me was that I had to go to the MayaCharm settings and reinput the host name and port.

Its rather odd that Maya created the log file, but won’t print to it. What is your Maya version and did you add the command port code to your userSetup.py file?

it’s ok, don’t need to hurry at all.

Yes, the port is opened and it seems to work because the code in PyCharm is correctly sended and executed in maya.
I also have another port opened for sublimetext and works ok.

Maya version: 2015 SP5 (windows)

ya im working on maya 2012, i can see if we got 2015 at work so i can test there. I might look into a differnt way getting the log information too.

Hey, this is pretty creative. I do find it bothersome. Congrats!

Works well… now sharing this with whoever will listen

Thank you, I’m hoping in the future to find some more time to work on it and make it a little more seamless and add features for easier debugging of Maya scripts.

Hi passerby, the link to the .jar file seems to be broken, would you mind providing a new link?

Ya sure, here you go

Plugin:
https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/8218-mayacharm

Source:

Been playing with RunConfigurations in the API for PyCharm a bit, and thinking i might re-implement the execute document feature as a run configuration sometime in the near future. This should make it feel more native to the UI and workflow of PyCharm. As well as letting the user define what code they want to run in Maya to run there script, such as issuing the import and reload commands into the Maya script editor, or just having it execute the current or a user defined python file in Maya. Also am working on a way to integrate wit the remote debugger that is in the Licensed Pro version of PyCharm and getting that integrated with MayaCharm as well.

1 Like

Feature request, you should get it to automatically allocate ‘Alt-S’ ‘Alt-A’ short cut keys (send Selection, and send All respectively)… I find when I’m writing script I’ll ‘scrapboard’ around on one file and just send selections to maya… so actually being able to ‘tag’ sections would be cool!

I’m currently using your script in a classroom environment with 40+students without a problem too!

Hmm that is great to hear that you are getting some use out of it in a production type setting. I could add those keys as defaults, but because it is currently implemented as a action in PyCharm. MayaCharm can have user defined keys added to it. Just search for Maya or MayaCharm in the keymap and you will find the 3 actions associated with it.

I haven’t been able to pay much attention to it since work is busy. But i also hope to expand the support for sending small snippets and improve that function by by having it automatically change the indent level before it sends code. So you could send a line of code inside a method or conditional without getting a unexpected indent error from python.

Did a little refactoring of the code to make room for new features, and added in your Alt+S and Alt+A keybinds while i was at it.

Plugin:

Source:

Great stuff, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=passerby;28346]Did a little refactoring of the code to make room for new features, and added in your Alt+S and Alt+A keybinds while i was at it.
Plugin:

Source:
https://github.com/cmcpasserby/MayaCharm[/QUOTE]

Using this version at the moment, but we’re not getting the log back from Maya. There isn’t a mayaLog.txt file C:\Users<user>.PyCharm40\system\plugins.

Using pyCharm Community version 4.5.3 and Maya 2014. Can you think of a reason why it’s not working? It’s not really blocking us, but it would be nice not to have the script editor open all the time in Maya :slight_smile:

did you already setup the hostname and port in pycharm, as well as running the code to create the commandPort in maya? Once that is done MayaCharm will try to connect to the log on startup, or when you run “connect to maya’s log” from the run menu.

Hi passerby,

Is the hostname required? I’m using only a set port but no hostname and things are working fine, but just wondering if you assume there is a hostname in code for a specific feature.

Also, is there a way to add a “Clear all” button to the Maya Log window? I’m still new to PyCharm so I’m not sure if there’s already a way to do this. Thanks!