Autodesk 2011

Hey Denny,

You’ll need to use the FBX2010 version which you can get from the FBX website. That seems strange it took so long and was an 8mb file, we tested a bunch of characters over here and on my laptop I was exporting out in just a few seconds most times. The longest I think I ever had was I tried sending out a 65k poly character with a ton of maps and forgot I had Embed Media turned on so it wrote them all into the FBX file!

In your export options for FBX you may want to turn some things off if you’re looking to streamline the process (lights, cameras, etc) and make sure that Embed Media is turned off or else FBX will try jamming all of your textures into your file as well :slight_smile: I wrote this to cut down on the amount of stuff that could potentially be exported as well so that there was just meaningful data in there and not a ton of other not so useful things.

I’m working on a script that handles rapid export stuff, basically it’s like the ActorX floating window but for FBX so you don’t always have to go File -> Export. It’ll let you set a path, pick what options you want for either meshes or animation and quickly export from a floating window. I’ve got a few more bugs to squash on it and then I’m going to probably forward it on to Epic and get working on the Max version as well.

If you run into anymore strange issues or extremely long exports just let me know and I’ll take a look into it and check with our dev team. I’m all for any feedback be it negative or positive it’s good constructive criticism :slight_smile:

I think an easy fix would install a pre-made preset that sets up export for UDK clean, right now custom or Media and Entertainment.

And yes, GDC Austin would be cool.

[QUOTE=smcclelland;5621]I’m working on a script that handles rapid export stuff, basically it’s like the ActorX floating window but for FBX so you don’t always have to go File -> Export. It’ll let you set a path, pick what options you want for either meshes or animation and quickly export from a floating window. I’ve got a few more bugs to squash on it and then I’m going to probably forward it on to Epic and get working on the Max version as well.[/QUOTE]That is the definition of awesome! Is it MEL or Python you’re making it for? :D:

Right now it’s all MEL based so if people wanted to modify it or change some functions they can. All that’s left to do is run it through a few more automated tests and write in the actorx blendshape behavior and it should be good to go. When I get into the office ill grab a screenshot for you.

I can’t wait to see how it looks! :D:

Alright here’s two shots of the UI. I still need to work on some icons at some point :):

That’s awesome Shawn! I wonder, I have this script I’ve made called Axtended, do you think it would be possible for me to extend your script using Axtended just like I’ve done so far with ActorX? I’m thinking of adding a checkbox for export as .fbx, you think that’s possible? :D:

Yup, shouldn’t be hard at all! If you’d like you can ping me and I can give you the nitty gritty technical details about how to call FBX through script (it’s pretty easy just using FBXExport but some people get confused about the order of calls for options).

@smcclelland: By any chance, have you made a MotionBuilder version of that
ActorX-like FBX batch exporter script? I’m about to write something similar but I
thought I ask about it first.

The Batch tool in MotionBuilder 2011 is python so you can extend what is there with out having to start from scratch if it does not work how you need all ready.

/facepalm
I’ve totally not seen that…

Thanks! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Zoltan;6661]/facepalm
I’ve totally not seen that…

Thanks! :)[/QUOTE]

I just finished up something similar if you’re interested, basically it lets you take a bunch of .ma files, export them as FBXs then pull them into a motionbuilder scene as individual takes. We have it setup so you can run it directly from motionbuilder, it’s pretty sweet.

[QUOTE=djTomServo;6665]I just finished up something similar if you’re
interested, basically it lets you take a bunch of .ma files, export them as FBXs
then pull them into a motionbuilder scene as individual takes. We have it setup
so you can run it directly from motionbuilder, it’s pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

Thank you :slight_smile: , but we’re trying to do all the animations in MB without involving
other packages. (“Mo’ apps, mo’ problems.”) Still, I’m sure it will come in
handy for other TAs.

[QUOTE=Zoltan;6652]@smcclelland: By any chance, have you made a MotionBuilder version of that
ActorX-like FBX batch exporter script? I’m about to write something similar but I
thought I ask about it first.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for late reply - been on vacation and unplugged.

I haven’t but it wouldn’t be too hard to do it. I’ve actually been re-thinking my approach and may make it into a QT widget so I can port it easier. I’ve still gotta get my head back around Maxscript at some point and do the Max version as well (been years since I’ve touched MXS).

get ready for fun

I have vague memories of it being like chewing on broken glass :):

Someone has been using the new riggingtools in max ?

Max 2011 does not come with new rigging tools - i guess you mean Maya 2011 ? Which indeed recieved some improvements in that regard…
Or are you talking about CAT-Tools for Max ? (which were there in previous Versions already )

[QUOTE=spacefrog;6930]Max 2011 does not come with new rigging tools - i guess you mean Maya 2011 ? Which indeed recieved some improvements in that regard…
Or are you talking about CAT-Tools for Max ? (which were there in previous Versions already )[/QUOTE]

Ow then I was wrong. I meant CAT. Is this used often and is it the goal that CAT has to replace the rigging tools in max ?

So far I like the changes in Max