Autodesk 2011

I kinda like it, then again I may be a bit biased on all fronts Brad

Hello guys!

This is my very first post here and sadly it’s about technical problems. I thought that this post belonged here and that I didn’t have to do a whole thread about this one issue. :slight_smile:

I’m not really sure if any of you guys are that into the UDK but I’ll give it a shot anyway.
So the issue at hand is that when I export my scene with my character + animations (which is from optical data) from Motionbuilder 2011 they can’t be imported into the UDK.
I have tried all different types of export settings but there is still some little detail that’s lurking in the file which causes havoc.

The message I get when attempting to import is: “Failed to parse fbx file: F:\blabla\yaddayadda\asdf.fbx”

I’ve tried with FBX2010 and FBX2011 through the python export program aswell as just regular “Save as…” exporting but still, nothing.
I’ve tried to clean the file up as good as possible by disabling some of the export options (i.e cameras, light etc) but it does not work.

The worst part is that I got it working a few weeks ago but when I try to import those old files I still get that error message in the UDK.

Any ideas what this might be?

EDIT: I found out that it worked better (not perfect) with an old FBX2009 file I found when I dug around. But still, any ideas why it doesn’t work with FBX2010/2011 other than that the problem lies with the UDK?

I made a thread about exporting earlier where I ended up making my
own exporter, which happens to be updated today. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if it fixes your problem, but it does get our characters and
animations from MoBu 2011 to UDK (July, August).

Ah! That’s just perfect, great timing and all! Will see it come to good use and perhaps it’s just the thing I’m looking for. Hehe!

Anyhow, cheers and great work.

Btw, I know that I can “easily” transfer my .fbx files from MoBu to Maya and save them as FBX2009 (and even 2006) but if I can get away with not using it, it will save A LOT of time in the long run… but that’s elementary :wink:

Let us know how it goes. I’m eager to see how it holds up outside our project.

Hello again! I have solved the problem, it was right in front of my nose. The simplest solution.

Here we go.
You see, I am from Sweden and since we are using three letters in the alphabet that isn’t functional with most of the US/UK developed programs there can easily be some issues if you don’t have that in mind. So basically, the file location had one of these letters in it and UDK didn’t like it very much. So problem solved by just deleting that letter!
No wonder no one haven’t heard nor experienced the problem before…